The graphic designer will elevate Elmhurst College’s brand by designing dynamic, creative content for a variety of platforms. In coordination with the associate creative director, this role will create high-impact pieces, with a focus on fundraising and institutional materials, like Prospect magazine and President’s Office collateral. Attention to detail and a commitment to excellence are key to success in this role.
1. Serve as designer for institutional design projects, including online and print advertising, brochures, newsletters, direct mail, magazine, social media assets, event publicity, course catalog, etc. The designer also manages outsourced projects.
2. Coordinate print production workflow by identifying cost-effective vendors, collaborating with campus clients on creative, making revisions, and delivering completed projects on time.
3. Brainstorm and develop designs based on written and spoken ideas from campus clients.
4. Follow the College’s existing style, and add fresh creative ideas into the mix.
5. Support associate creative director as a secondary brand steward, contributing to an institutional identity guide and maintaining campus wide compliance.
6. Function as a key member of the Office of Communications and Public Affairs, working with other graphic designers, copywriters, illustrators, and project managers.
7. Maintain a digital archive of design projects, photos and video assets.
8. Serve as campus photographer when needed, and can retouch and color correct photography.
9. Demonstrate a strong commitment to continuous improvement.
10. Support mission, vision and values.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Elmhurst College offers more than 60 undergraduate majors, 17 graduate programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst College is one of the Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher education. Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical component of the College’s mission, vision and core values. Our commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst College is an EO Employer. Elmhurst College prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
1. Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, visual communication design or fine art.
2. Two years of experience in design.
3. Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office, and comfortable working in a Mac or PC environment (office has both).
4. Familiarity with pre-press techniques, and ability to deliver print-ready files to vendors.
5. Excellent multitasking, project management and interpersonal skills.
6. Strong proofreading skills and attention to detail, with a commitment to high standards.
7. A passion for creativity, design, social media and emerging technologies.
8. Ability to manage multiple projects from inception to completion within established deadlines.
9. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
10. Openness to constructive feedback about designs.
1. Experience working in higher education.
2. Experience with HTML and CSS a plus.