For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, provide administrative and office support services to college administrator in functional area or office. Exercise discretion and independent judgment in determining the dissemination of sensitive material and/or information based on in-depth knowledge of college policies, procedures, and practices. Anticipate and initiate action regarding administrative detail as it relates to office management, and the operation of the college as a whole.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Anticipate and initiate action to be taken as correspondence, memoranda to be written, meetings to be scheduled, persons to be contacted in all routine procedures for administrator.*
- Plan, organize, instruct and assign clerical responsibilities to support staff.
- Record and transcribe all reports, meeting minutes, correspondence, memos from shorthand notes, handwritten copy or primary source material.*
- Receive visitors, answer telephones, review inquiries and represent functional area/office to students, faculty, administrators and public officials exercising discretion in obtaining and providing factual and confidential information.*
- Perform necessary processing and maintain files and records as required.
- Compile, analyze and prepare special reports and materials as requested.
- Make minor and/or preliminary decisions regarding administrative detail such as what information is to be provided and to whom, using judgment based on knowledge of college policies and procedures.
- Prepare correspondence covering a wide range of subjects and under a great variety of circumstances for administrators or own signature. This includes composing and/or editing, typing and proofing the correspondence.
- Arrange meetings and conferences, reserving meeting rooms, preparing agenda, assembling and summarizing information required for coverage of agenda items, preparing and distributing minutes to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain administrator's appointment calendar and adjust schedules as needed due to emergency
- or unforeseen events using discretion and judgment in rescheduling such appointments.
- Provide clerical support for adjunct faculty payroll by compiling necessary information from
- division offices, individual faculty when necessary, and submitting the necessary information in
- appropriate formats to Payroll and other college offices as needed.*
- Provide selected clerical support to the Senior Executive Assistant to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, particularly for clerical contract agreements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree in Computer Office Technology, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- Five years of progressively responsible office and administrative support experience is necessary.
- Ability to utilize a keyboard to enter, retrieve and manipulate data is required.
- Advanced word processing (Microsoft Word preferred), and intermediate spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel preferred) skills are required. Beginning presentation application (Microsoft PowerPoint preferred) and beginning database application (Microsoft Access preferred) skills are desired.
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.