Staff Assistant II, New Student Orientation
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive. Kingwood, Texas 77339-3801.
The Staff Assistant II provides support to multiple individuals in a department. Activities are generally routine, but may involve non-routine requests. Basic duties may include making copies, sorting and distributing mail, answering routine questions and inquiries, providing information and directions in a service-oriented environment. Schedule building is a primary duty of the Staff Assistant in our Division. The Staff Assistant II helps prepare and coordinate New Student Orientations and helps guide and direct students during orientations with signing up for classes, classes to take and assist advisors during the registration process.
- Accept and log Lost and Found items. Assist with Lost and Found inquiries. Contact and meet with owners
- Assist department with student, administrative, budgetary and cashiering tasks as needed. Coordinate with other administrative, maintenance, or clerical employees in own department or throughout the college to accomplish such routine activities such as ordering supplies, obtaining approvals and arranging for word processing, document duplication, equipment repair or travel advances
- Assist in organizing meetings as needed along with assisting in planning departmental events, programs and activities. Coordinate room scheduling via R25. Maintain center schedule in R25
- Assist students by handling their requests and being a point of contact for instructors. Provide routine information and routing students to the correct contact. Assist with orientation of students (preparing material, room arrangements, etc.). Assist with preparations for committee meetings and presentations and student ceremonies
- Coordinate with approved vendors for promotional items, catering, and travel
- Create, compile, and report numbers with regard to student population, enrollment, headcount, conference attendance, program applications, completion of applications, academic tracks completion, leadership tracks completion, and graduation conferrals. Assist with data entry including inputting program course schedules
- Generate reports that help others track, evaluate, and complete tasks. The requests may come from or be assigned by manager, an instructor, or counselor in the division. These items may include but are not limited to syllabus and vitae checks, adjunct leave hours per instructors, important dates to e-mail to instructors like Official day and W day, rosters with telephone number, and academic advising rosters
- Greet and assist visitors, tenants, faculty, staff and students with directions and various requests; directing them to the appropriate individual or room. Answer department/campus telephone and assist callers. Research answers to questions the students and community may have regarding programs, contacts, registration, etc. and responds via email, phone or in person. Assist students in resolving various academic or counseling issues
- Prepare employee paperwork to obtain new or replacement ID Badge and Access Card. Send info to access department for processing. Maintain inventory of access cards
- Provide assistance to management and others by taking messages, virtual and in-person concern resolution, procuring necessary signatures, document creation and dissemination, and meeting coordination and facilitation
- Scan and convert all end of semester check-out documentation from faculty members for the academic division to a shared drive for virtual storage and accessibility by division related team members
- Submit marketing requests, work requests, and take care of general maintenance requests for the division
- Handle multi-line phone systems for the office. Responsible for fax machine/copier. Responsible for toner/paper orders for the Department. Responsible for submitting OTS Tickets for the department staff
- Provide information to students such as how to apply, where can they talk to an adviser, who is their school's liaison for the outreach department etc. Attend New Student Orientation, when possible, to provide physical support in helping students check-in and register for classes
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficiency with common office software (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and Access)
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work assignments
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are Word or pdf files.
You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- High school diploma or GED and at least 1 year of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Associate's degree
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Kingwood
Work Locations: 20000 Kingwood Dr (0200) , 20000 Kingwood Dr , Kingwood , 77339
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC Kingwood - 02
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Nov 6, 2018, 6:18:38 PM