Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Functional Genomics Facility of University of Colorado Cancer Center, housed in the Department of Pharmacology has an opening for a full-time Professional Research Assistant to work at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.
We provide reagents and technical support for studying gene function at single gene level as well as at genome-wide scale. Currently the Facility specifically provides the following resources to our client labs across the state of Colorado:
- Short hairpin RNA (shRNA) plasmid constructs to knockdown genes in human and mouse cells
- Open Reading Frame (ORF) plasmid construct to overexpress genes in human cells
- CRISPR plasmid constructs to knockout, knock-in and activate endogenous genes in human and mouse genes
We are seeking a highly motivated Professional Research Assistant to work directly with the Functional Genomics Facility Manager and Consulting Scientist to perform various molecular biology and management duties to ensure efficient running of the Facility.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
40% Molecular biology techniques:
- Bacterial plasmid isolation (Mini-, Maxi-, Midi-preps, etc.) and cloning
- Mammalian tissue culture
- Viral preparation and extraction
- PCR and DNA extraction, quantification, analysis
- Western blotting
40% Order fulfillment:
The Functional Genomics Facility provides genomics reagents and expertise to labs across Colorado. The PRA position will require daily fulfillment of these orders, preparation of reagents, documentation, and shipping. Significant attention to detail will be required to ensure correct order fulfillment.
20% Lab maintenance and management:
- Lab maintenance and upkeep chores (autoclaving, washing glassware, disposing of hazardous waste, etc.)
- Lab management including maintaining lab inventories and preparing solutions
- Facility website management
Visit functionalgenomicsfacility.org for more information
- B.S. degree in Biology or related field.
- Hands on laboratory experience (preferable).
Required Competencies/Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
- Competent in website management Significant attention to detail and organization Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team Excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability to document methods and results for publication and/or future replication Professional attitude and enthusiasm for FGF mission
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture strongly preferred
- Microbiological culture
- Experience with lenti/retroviral production and transduction
- Experience with basic molecular biology methods, such as:
- RNA/DNA/Protein Isolation
- RNA interference
- Molecular cloning
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located atEmployee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15107
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20120 - SOM - Pharmacology
Posting Date: Nov 6, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Orsund
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00608063