Research Engineer - Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (103917)
Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (ABE), College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is searching to fill the position of Research Engineer. This is a full-time, 12-month, academic professional position.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
The ABE department at the University of Illinois includes 20 full-time faculty members involved in teaching, research and extension. It houses two academic programs, the Agricultural and Biological Engineering and the Technical Systems Management with undergraduate and graduate degrees offered in each. Faculty members have research activities in bioenvironmental engineering, biological engineering, food and bioprocess engineering, off-road equipment engineering, and soil and water resources engineering. Departmental extension programs include agricultural waste management, nutrient management planning, agricultural safety and health, soil and water resource engineering and chemical/pesticide application training. For more information see http://abe.illinois.edu/.
Primary Function of Position:
Conduct research and develop various robotic and data collection equipment for agricultural phenotyping and autonomy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prototype Robotics platform for agricultural applications
- Test and validate the robotic platforms for agricultural applications
- Prepare mission (flight) plans for unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) for data collection over agricultural farms
- Develop technology to aid autonomous navigation and data collection for ground and aerial robots
- Improve development processes and advance scientific research
Evaluate and Coordinate Research Performance:
- Develop and implement policies, standards, and procedures for the engineering and technical research that is performed
- Coordinate activities of the research team with collaborators
- Conduct various quality assurance tests and checks to verify the quality of completed projects
- Manage materials (inventory) for projects
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost
Dean, College of ACES
Department Head, Dept of ABE
Faculty, Dept of ABE
Minimum education, and work experience (including years) to qualify for the position:
- MS in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering/Robotics Engineering
- One year experience working in a multi-disciplinary team. Two years experience in field robotics laboratory equipment management
Minimum Training, Licenses or Certifications for the position:
- FAA Part 107 license
- Broad familiarity with aerial and ground robots, data-links, adaptive control, autopilots, Stablis system, flight simulators, TerraSentia robot system
- Experience with robotics platforms
Proposed Starting Date:
December 1st, 2018
Commensurate with education and/or experience.
To ensure full consideration, candidates should apply by November 20, 2018. Please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/ and upload a letter of application/interest, curriculum vita and contact information for three (3) professional references (include name, title, address, phone, fax, email) in one document, by close of business on November 20, 2018. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be given full consideration.
For further information, contact the search coordinator, Ronda Sullivan, via email, [email protected]
The university conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Title: Research Engineer - Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (103917)
Open Date: 11/06/2018
Close Date: 11/20/2018
Organization Name: Agricultural and Biological Engr