Financial Aid Outreach Specialist
Job ID: 24816
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: Financial Aid & Scholarships
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Salary Range: $4,179/month - $5,942/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director for Counseling and Advising, the Financial Aid Outreach Specialist provides information to students, prospective students, parents, family members and community members about financial aid programs and application requirements, deadlines, eligibility requirements for state and federal financial aid; conducts extensive financial aid outreach services including speaking/attending events with potential students and families. Performs a variety of duties related to processing the financial aid eligibility determination for student financial aid applications, maintains records and assists students by providing information. Working independently, under general supervision, conducts orientation workshops for entering and continuing students at on and off-campus recruitment, yield and educational events.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in the development, planning and implementation of activities and programs to
provide financial aid information and enrollment assistance to prospective and current students
aimed at increasing enrollment as well as awareness leading to student success.
- Assist in the design and development of presentations and workshops for middle school, high
school, community college and college students to include panel presentations, group
presentations and/or one-to-one meetings.
- Serve as the liaison between the Financial Aid Office and SJSU Student Outreach &
Recruitment staff in providing support at the on and off campus recruitment, yield and
community events. Collaborate with college departments to market financial aid outreach for
their academic programs including graduate programs.
- Lead and support community programs, such as Super Sunday, College Readiness Summits
and others, to increase college participation of the under-represented student populations.
- Participate in the development of effective outreach materials to provide information for current
and prospective students.
- Lead efforts with campus partners and community leaders to promote a local college going
culture by providing the College Day Family Conference and Advancing Latinx Achievement
and Success (ALAS) Conference to increase interest in college and student success in the
San Jose community.
- Explains the FAFSA and CA Dream application process, award cycle, and answers questions
related to the financial aid award process at San Jose State University. Communicates with
students and parents.
- Attends conferences and seminars regarding financial aid eligibility criteria and processes.
Makes on and off campus presentations and represents San Jose State University at
informational fairs, conferences and forums.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field and two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of 3 - 4 years of experience within a financial aid environment.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with financial aid verification application review, need
analysis and recalculation of financial aid eligibility.
- Experience working with federal/state regulations and maintaining compliance and program
- Experience with Peoplesoft and financial aid software programs (COD, NSLDS, etc).
- Strong written communications skills.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to maximize productivity through use of appropriate tools; planned training and
- Ability to research and develop resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
- Ability to prepare progress reports, informs supervisor of project status and deviation from
- Ability to ensure completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of all operational functions.
- Ability to prepare and submit reports as requested and required.
- Ability to implement guidelines to support the functions of the unit.
- Ability to determine the importance of each task, and completes functions according to
established deadlines and changing priorities.
- Ability to comply with all applicable university, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to maintain confidential data and follows FERPA guidelines.
- Knowledge of financial aid programs, including Pell, Federal Loans, FWS, Cal Grant.
- Ability to effectively interact with diverse students and employees.
- Knowledge of methods, procedures, practices, and activities of all California State University
and SJSU admission requirements and policies.
- Ability to provide timely and accurate responses, manage multiple priorities, and track
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive communications with students, parents,
staff, faculty and external agencies.
- Ability to use technical databases and programs for word documents, databases,
communication tools, spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive communications with students, parents, employees and external
- Knowledge of technology and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet,
database management, and communication tools.
- Ability to learn PeopleSoft.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to plan and execute multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and
- Ability to identify conflict, problem solve, and resolve student problems and concerns in the
most efficient manner possible.
November 6, 2018
Application Screening begins November 21, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046