Athletics Operations Associate, Charles E. Smith Center
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation actively engages our students, our campus community, our alumni and our fans through the spirit of healthy living and competition. Located in the heart of our nation's capital, this world-class university aspires to have a world-class athletics and recreation program. We are committed to building and sustaining a program that mirrors the overall excellence of the university, by providing students an unparalleled opportunity for achievement and engaging the larger community as we grow and cultivate the next generation of leaders.
The Charles E. Smith Center has served as the home of the George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation for more than 30 years. The facility's primary purpose is housing the majority of GW's 27 intercollegiate varsity sports, practice space for club sports, classroom space for Exercise Science classes, and office space for the Department of Athletics and Recreation. In addition, the Smith Center has also hosted many major events and concerts throughout the years, and is available to host smaller scale events in our two club-rooms.
Reporting to the Assistant Athletic Director for Events, Facilities, and Operations, the Athletics Operations Associate for the Charles E. Smith Center is primarily responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Center, ensuring that the center is operational and fully staffed. The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Manages daily, event, and logistical operations for the Charles E. Smith Center and Athletics Townhouses including, but not limited to, staffing and facilities maintenance.
- Is responsible for coordinating facility usage (rental and event operations) and executing logistical setup/take down and event coverage for all department events, including but not limited to intercollegiate, University, external, club, camp, or clinic events with internal operations staff.
- Collaborates with Office of Student Employment for the recruitment and hiring of 70+ student staff necessary to support facility, and special event operations throughout the year.
- Collaborates with appropriate campus departments for van scheduling and maintenance - manages the fleet.
- Designs, creates, implements and ensures all student employee training and professional development sessions necessary to produce a skilled student workforce in the areas of operations, safety/security, and risk management.
- Acts as a liaison to internal and external constituents to ensure that all aspects are training are up to date and relevant.
- Manages staffing for daily, event, and logistical operations for Charles E. Smith Center and Athletics Townhouses, ensuring proper room setup/take down for all practices, games, classes, and events.
- Responds to issues that arise (GWPD, Safety and Security, etc.)
- Assists the Senior Athletics Operations Associate with event management at Mount Vernon Athletic facilities and Barcroft Park
- Oversees and coordinates facility needs for sports camps for varsity sports teams
- Acts as the athletics department's backup timekeeper, processing timesheets for payroll for all non-exempt personnel
- Assists supervisor with budget oversight of student staff personnel, including Federal Work Study, Hourly Wage employees, and temporary appointments
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. May require travel to Athletics Townhouses, Mount Vernon Campus, Barcroft Park (Arlington, VA) and the Thompson Boat House. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience supporting a Division I athletics department
- Experience managing/supporting events, facilities, or operations for an athletics department
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, the Internet, E-mail) and in using standard office equipment
- Ability to demonstrate effective communication skills both orally and in writing
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural questions
- Ability to research and resolve office management problems and questions
- Ability to organize workflow, coordinate activities and prioritize workload
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Athletics and Recreation Family Athletics Sub-Family Athletics Administration Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:30 pm (evenings and weekends as necessary) Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status.
- In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter