Heavy Equipment Operator
Grounds and Landscape
Proposed Salary Range
Type of Employment: Staff
Employment Status: Full time (29-40 Hrs)
The Heavy Equipment Operator is responsible for operating heavy equipment, such as tractors, trailers, gasoline shovels, backhoes, front-end loaders, and dump trucks and other heavy mechanized equipment. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
This posting is open for continued recruitment of individuals seeking employment for the position of Heavy Equipment Operator. This pool position allows applicants to be considered for every Institutional Services Assistant position that becomes available. These positions are available in Facilities Management, Residence Life, Arkansas Biosciences Institute and the Student Union.
- Operates complex mechanized equipment requiring specialized operator skill level, including cranes, bulldozers, excavator trucks, track mounted front end loaders and specialized snow removal equipment.
- Receives work assignments through verbal instructions or written work orders.
- Performs operator level lubrication and maintenance, in accord with operations manuals, including machine adjustments.
- Operates all types of mowers, bush hogs, bulldozers, front end loaders, dump trucks, forklifts, tractors in the maintenance of structures and grounds.
- Travels to job site by truck or on equipment to be used in the job.
- Checks the safety of equipment operation and operates equipment for grounds maintenance, physical plant, greenhouses and farming operations.
- Uses complex, mechanical equipment, performing tasks including erection, demolition, excavating, grading, filling, or other construction and maintenance activities.
- Provides labor for special projects, such as ground work for sidewalks, curbs, and retaining walls.
- Performs work at heights on equipment, such as platform trucks, aerial ladders and baskets, crane booms, and other equipment.
- Plants, cultivates and harvests crops operating tractors, disc, planters and levee hog.
- Moves and arranges furniture, loads and unloads materials and other parts and supplies.
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment and reports any problems.
- Digs ditches for water, sewer, or gas lines.
- Picks up and loads debris, such as limbs, rocks, or other materials on trucks and hauls to dumping area.
- Uproots trees and levels lots or grounds.
- Hauls gravel and dirt for road repair or construction projects.
- Operates bucket truck for cutting and removing limbs from trees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of procedures for operating heavy, complex, mechanized equipment in accord with manual, safety regulations, and other instructions and the operation of heavy equipment, driving, and moving mechanized equipment.
Ability to operate heavy, complex mechanized equipment, service and perform minor maintenance on heavy equipment, and understand and carry out oral and written directions and explanations.
Skill in the operation of heavy equipment.
Monday - Friday
7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
This position is considered Essential Personnel in Facilities Management and Candidate must possess a valid Driver's License.
The formal education equivalent of a High School Diploma
Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these basic requirements, except for certification or licensure requirements, upon approval of the qualifications review committee.
Arkansas State University is a public, multi-campus higher education system with enrollment in excess of 22,000 students. Approximately 14,000 students attend the Jonesboro campus where the student body is diverse. The campus has a renewed focus on international student recruitment and capital campaign development. Jonesboro has a population of approximately 67,000 and is located 70 miles northwest of Memphis (www.jonesborochamber.org).
EEO Statement: It is the policy of Arkansas State University to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, status as a veteran or other status protected by law; and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive continuing program of affirmative action.