Grounds and Landscape
Proposed Salary Range
Type of Employment: Staff
Employment Status: Full time (29-40 Hrs)
The Apprentice Tradesman assists a certified or licensed skilled tradesman in all phases of work associated with a particular trade and is responsible for learning the duties in an apprentice training program. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
This posting is open for continued recruitment of individuals seeking employment for the position of Apprentice Tradesman. This pool position allows applicants to be considered for every Institutional Services Assistant position that becomes available. These positions are available in Facilities Management, Residence Life, Arkansas Biosciences Institute and the Student Union.
- Adhere to the vision and guiding principles of the Finance and Administration Division
- Operate and perform preventative maintenance on a wide range of grounds and landscape equipment
- Perform various grounds and landscape duties including, but not limited to; trash removal and pick up, planting, digging, laying sod, pruning, trimming, fertilizing, weeding, watering and weed eating
- Performs various heavy equipment operation and maintenance
- Performs various light equipment operation and maintenance
- Assist with special operations, unique to athletic facilities
- Employees will wear daily, the assigned uniform as designated in the Uniform FMOP, Exceptions will be in writing for approval by the Assistant Vice Chancellor
- Ensure all time cards, work orders and other assigned paper work are correct and turned in on time
- Attend team meetings, open forum meetings, assigned training and any meetings the grounds manager instructs
- Ensure tools and materials needed to perform daily work assignments are accounted for and in good working order
- Develop computer knowledge and skills in Banner System, FAMIS, Blackboard, Microsoft Office Suites and general internet usage
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge of basic measuring tools, equipment, and materials used in the various skilled trades.
Ability to perform manual labor under various working conditions.
Ability to use hand and power tools in various working conditions.
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Ability to communicate information and ideas in various environments.
Skill in the use, operation, and care of tools and machinery.
Monday - Friday
7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
This position is considered Essential Personnel in Facilities Management
The formal education equivalent of a High School Diploma
Must possess a valid Driver's License.
Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these basic requirements, except for certification or licensure requirements, upon approval of the qualifications review committee.
Arkansas State University is a public, multi-campus higher education system with enrollment in excess of 22,000 students. Approximately 14,000 students attend the Jonesboro campus where the student body is diverse. The campus has a renewed focus on international student recruitment and capital campaign development. Jonesboro has a population of approximately 67,000 and is located 70 miles northwest of Memphis (www.jonesborochamber.org).
EEO Statement: It is the policy of Arkansas State University to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, status as a veteran or other status protected by law; and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive continuing program of affirmative action.