Senior Associate Director/UX Designer
Hyde Park Campus
40607 Masters Programs Support
About the Unit
About the Unit Masters Programs Support works closely with UChicago GRAD, which provides academic and professional support to complement the academic rigor and excellence that are the hallmarks of UChicago graduate education. In particular, Masters Programs Support focuses on recruitment and enrollment initiatives for UChicago's many graduate and professional school masters programs.
Reporting to the Director of Creative and Communications, the Senior UX Designer is responsible for shaping the visual development and user experience of a range of dynamic projects. This role will design experiences, interfaces, and assets that make complex interactions simple and easy to use. The Senior Associate Director/UX Designer will have design expertise to help advance brand, admissions, and enrollment for UChicago's masters and professional programs. You will shape and steward evolving brand standards ensuring innovative visual expression of the University's and masters programs' brand. This position will develop and extend UX design vision, processes, and standards. The UX designer is responsible for creating fluid, logical, and exciting user experiences to support marketing strategy and masters programs' enrollment. This individual's digital design work will support marketing and communications activities for UChicago's graduate divisions and professional schools.
The Senior Associate Director/UX Designer will develop deep understanding of UChicago's target audience and graduate programs. This role will construct and employ user research/testing methods to define and optimize a user's journey as part of masters programs' admissions and enrollment. The ideal person will embody the mission and values of UChicago through purposeful design.
The Senior Associate Director/UX Designer should be a passionate champion of higher education with experience translating complex academic concepts, value propositions, and data into rewarding brand experiences and interactions. Through design they play a critical role in defining the UChicago masters and professional education online presence through the creation of websites, landing pages, emails, and campaign assets.
The UX designer will develop relationships with design peers, administrative leaders, and stakeholders across UChicago and our graduate programs to ensure collaboration, coordination, and implementation of user experience designs. They will play a fundamental role in designing and developing a suite of marketing assets that will be leveraged by many divisions & programs.
- Serve as the primary design and UX point of contact/steward for UChicago masters and professional education recruitment and enrollment.
- Participate in project scope development including user requirements definition, user scenarios, user stories, task analysis, research, etc.
- Design and specify user interfaces, conceptual models, user flows, information architecture and navigation structures using iterative design techniques.
- Produce sketches, wireframes, prototypes, and other elements to communicate design vision to stakeholders.
- Create branding and digital standards to ensure websites, emails, landing pages, and collateral are user-friendly and high performing and offer a compelling, reliable experience.
- Ensure interaction and visual design is consistent with user interface requirements and usability best practices. Work with developers to maintain quality and design fidelity.
- Anticipate and offer creative solutions to design/usability challenges and serve as the user advocate throughout the discovery and development process.
- Collaborate and participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes project management, business stakeholders, developers, and content creators.
- Develop familiarity with business processes, technology platforms and data flows of business applications to inform design.
- Apply knowledge of programming techniques and internet systems.
- Participates in teams to custom tailor a plan for proposed projects using combination of graphic and written material and modify proposals as necessary.
- Monitor current and anticipate future web design needs to maintain performance and relevance of user experiences.
- Experience researching, prototyping, and designing a variety of experiences and assets related to concurrent projects and clients.
- Experience designing and developing advertising and promotion programs.
- Strong design fundamentals that can be expressed holistically through integrated campaigns including print collateral. Responsive and mobile experience required.
- Ability to solve complex user problems through interface design and usability expertise.
- Well-versed in web-based information architecture, user-centered design methods and current web technologies.
- Ability to stay abreast of best practices regarding student recruitment and marketing techniques and strategies to assist in meeting enrollment projections.
- Strong design and production background with the ability to direct outside illustrators, photographers, and freelancers.
- Proficient with standard design and prototyping tools.
- Experience working with Agile methodology preferred.
Education, Experience or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a discipline related to the area of focus and 7 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience required. Master's degree preferred.
- Experience championing the values of higher education to diverse audiences around the world.
- Effective interpersonal skills. Must be able to establish and maintain relationships with external and internal audiences.
- Ability to establish and articulate a point of view and lead others through example and persuasion.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and respond appropriately to time-sensitive issues.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and prioritize workload.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience with higher education content a plus and/or recruitment experience.
Candidates must submit all required documents to be considered for this position.
- Cover Letter
- Three references
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/