Science Writer (7 Month Fixed-Term)
Science Writer (7 Month Fixed-Term)
Job Number: 81020
Job Code: 4272
Job Grade: H
The School of Medicine at Stanford University is seeking a highly experienced and accomplished science writer to join the team of professionals in the Office of Communication & Public Affairs. This is a fixed-term position for the period of Dec. 1, 2018-June 30, 2019.
This position involves writing engaging news releases, feature stories and magazine pieces about the research and clinical activities at the School of Medicine.
- This includes employing a variety of journalistic writing styles to cover published research, scientific presentations, clinical trials and other items deemed newsworthy. The stories are for the office's in-house publications, including award-winning publications such as the biweekly Inside Stanford Medicine newspaper, Stanford Medicine magazine and the Scope blog.
- This writer will cover a designated beat that will include such areas as cardiovascular medicine, surgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, global health and psychiatry.
- Other duties include: Maintaining regular contacts with key sources in order to identify story themes and newsworthy events; providing faculty members with counsel on news stories and press releases; answering general inquiries from the media in beat area; assisting print reporters in covering stories; in cooperation with other media-relations personnel, promoting a variety of stories to individual reporters.
- This position will also serve as an expert resource on matters pertaining to science and scientific methods of research within the Office of Communication & Public Affairs and will be responsible for undertaking background reading and staying current with medical/science journals and literature.
About Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, was founded in 1858 with a mission to be the premier research-intensive medical school that improves health through leadership, diversity, and a collaborative approach to discovery and innovation in research, education, and patient care.
With more than 2,304 faculty, each providing a unique mix of research, education, and patient care effort, organized in 30 academic departments and 16 interdisciplinary institutes and centers, supported by more than 3,900 staff, educating 3,000 students, postdoctoral fellows, clinical residents/fellows, and trainees, and collectively generating about $2.6B in revenues, the School of Medicine is Stanford's largest school and truly a complex organization.
Holistically, the School of Medicine is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that keeps pace with market trends, and benefits that increase financial stability and promote healthy, fulfilling lives.
Our ideal candidate has experience covering/writing on medicine/science/ health topics for news organizations (i.e., newspapers, magazine, public information offices, etc.) In addition they have demonstrated an understanding of highly technical scientific reports and data, with the ability to write strong and compelling news stories and magazine pieces on complex scientific topics. They are also familiar with medical databases and online tools (e.g., Medline). The right candidate has excellent, proven journalism skills; a mastery of extracting information from presentations, papers and research reports; and demonstrates an ability to ascertain what is newsworthy and interesting.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree and five years of related experience, or a combination of education and related experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Proven success in newswriting for publication in print, web and other platforms.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and oral communication skills with proven ability to present, write, edit and organize thoughts in a clear, concise and well-organized manner.
- Ability to understand materials of moderate complexity and synthesize across multiple sources to produce materials for diverse audiences.
- Ability to change voice and writing style to fit a particular audience and purpose.
- Firm understanding of web technologies and applications, including social networking, social media tools, and current communication trends.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to interact effectively with a diverse array of people, including senior leaders.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, and use a telephone, writing by hand.
- Occasionally reach/work above shoulders, grasp forcefully, and sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Visual and auditory acuity, including color vision required.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Occasional travel.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Location: School of Medicine, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency