Manager of Employee Relations, HR
Manager of Employee Relations, Office of Human Resources – Requisition # 18000001P7
This position manages and coordinates Employee Relations, Employee & Organizational Development, Compliance Management, and Employee Recognition & Reward activities for the UTC Office of Human Resources (HR). This position serves as a member of the HR leadership team and reports to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources within the Division of Finance and Administration. Responsibilities include:
• Serves as HR point of contact for employee relations matters related to both faculty and staff employees (e.g., performance coaching, performance improvement plans, progressive disciplinary process, discharges, probationary terminations, etc.) and assists with drafting or reviewing official correspondences and memorandums.
• Ensures proper record keeping for all employee relations actions.
• Leads employee relations needs assessment efforts and coordinates follow up intervention strategies (e.g., mediation, etc.).
• Provides counsel to campus stakeholders regarding HR policy and procedure, specifically related to the progressive disciplinary process, HR investigations, etc.
• Conducts investigations related to alleged violations of policy, law, or procedure, which fall within the auspices of Human Resources.
• Provides counsel to campus stakeholders regarding the performance management process, including setting goals/expectations, performance coaching, and the annual review process.
• Establishes and updates campus HR procedures as needed due to changes in law or policy.
• Coordinates administration of employee appeals and grievances.
• Serves as HR representative on UTC Care Team and coordinates efforts to provide assistance to employees as needed and disseminate Employee Assistance Program (EAP) information.
• Serves as HR representative during the ADA accommodation request process in collaboration with the Manager of Employment Services and Assistant Vice Chancellor for HR.
Employee & Organizational Development:
• Supervises the Talent Management Specialist position to collaboratively address campus employee and organizational development needs.
• Oversees Campus Learning Administrator (CLA) responsibilities for UTC related to the UT System online learning management system, which includes serving as cross-trained administrator for the [email protected] system in conjunction with the HR Talent Management Specialist.
• Collaborates with UT System EOD personnel to ensure aligned services and stay abreast of EOD trends, changes, etc.
• Leads needs assessment efforts to identify training and development needs for all employee subgroups (e.g., management/leadership, first-time supervisors, professional staff, administrative support staff, etc.).
• Oversees execution of new or established training and development curriculum, ensuring sustainability of efforts.
• Develops and facilitates learning programs as necessary.
• Collaborates with HR leadership team to identify opportunities for enhanced training and development and/or communication efforts related to HR service delivery areas.
• Assists with identification of process improvement opportunities among HR service delivery areas.
• Manages Career Development Fund account, which includes communicating benefit to campus and processing requests for funds.
• Coordinates annual Conflict of Interest (COI) requirements, COI Committee and resolution of COI reviews.
• Coordinates annual Performance Review process, including HR management of submissions, monitoring compliance and reporting submission progress for administration.
• Coordinates Institutional Compliance Committee efforts, monitoring progress towards completion of requirements and reporting for administration.
• Collaborates with UT System personnel to ensure campus compliance and identification of best practices.
Employee Reward and Recognition Programs:
• Provides oversight for HR involvement in Chancellor's Blue Ribbon Award, which includes management of the nomination process and HR assistance for bi-annual awards ceremonies.
• Coordinates campus nomination process for annual UT President's Award.
• Provides oversight for annual UTC Service Awards, which includes management of HR involvement, budget assessment, etc.
• Leads efforts in identifying other potential recognition or rewards programs.
Bachelor’s degree required in Business Administration, HR, Psychology or related field; Master’s degree in Business Administration, HR, Psychology or related field preferred. Minimum of five years of Human Resources-related experience required. Must have a minimum of three years of experience in both Employee Relations and Employee & Organizational Development, including a minimum of two years’ experience in managing HR functions. Must have previous experience working with an online learning management system. HR-related certification (e.g., PHR, SHRM-CP, etc.) preferred. Mediation certification preferred. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as active listening skills. Must have demonstrated competence in the areas of employee relations and training & development. Must be able to translate research and statistical analyses into practical terms. Demonstrated competency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Microsoft Outlook required. Occasional work on weekends and evenings, as well as overnight travel, is required.
All applicants should include a cover letter and resume as attachments in addition to the online application.
Applications must be submitted electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000001P7
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.