Director - Advancement
Director - Advancement
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This position reports directly to the Assistant Vice President and Campaign Director in the Division of University Advancement (UA). Carrying a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects and current donors, the Director of Academic Advancement will secure principal and major gifts and work with others in the UA Division on corporate, foundation and planned gifts that support WPI's mission.
- Develop and implement cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for a prospect portfolio of approximately 100 major and principal individual gift prospects with the capacity to give $100,000 or more. Collaborate with Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy, Planned Giving, Alumni Relations, and the Annual Giving teams in the raising of institutional, planned and annual gifts.
- Achieve the fundraising goal as outlined in the annual SMART goal-setting process. Utilize one on one visits strategically to cultivate, solicit and close gifts individually and in cooperation with others on the UA team. Achieve specific metrics as outlined in your annual SMART goals.
- Foster a collaborative, service-oriented environment within the UA Division in achieving the annual goals of the Division. Work as appropriate with department heads, faculty and staff members, and colleagues on major gift initiatives.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the campaign priorities and initiatives. Use this understanding to work with senior administrative staff and volunteer leaders in cultivating, soliciting and closing major gift commitments in support of those priorities and initiatives.
- Develop productive working relationships that engage and involve key volunteers at various stages of their relationship with the university.
- Support efforts and coordinate donor relations and special events efforts with the UA Alumni Relations and Donor Relations & Stewardship teams on special events that further the strategic priorities of the university. Work with UA and campus partners to ensure the timely and accurate documentation, recording and acknowledgement of gifts.
- Devise strategies and implement moves management techniques through Salesforce to maximize fundraising productivity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of five years of experience in institutional advancement or fundraising with a demonstrated record of success.
- The Director of Academic Advancement must be a results-oriented individual with demonstrated experience closing gifts and working effectively with a diverse group of donors and volunteers at a variety of levels of engagement.
- Ability to innovate and think creatively about gift strategies, especially for large 6/7-figure major gifts.
- This position requires an individual who understands person-to-person relationships and has the ability to articulate in a persuasive manner the vision and priorities of the University and match those to the interests of prospective donors.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently to cultivate and solicit gifts.
- Familiarity with charitable gift arrangements.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to concurrently handle multiple tasks.
- Possess strong written, oral and interpersonal skills to further relationships with donors and volunteers.
- Proficiency with standard computer applications (Microsoft Office) including familiarity with Salesforce or similar fundraising software to insure proposals, gifts and contact reports are captured is essential.
- Participation and involvement in two mandatory Division events is required: Homecoming in the Fall and Alumni Weekend in the Spring.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the assignment of other duties that are logically related to the position.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Director---Advancement_R0000096
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency