University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
University Police Department
Position #670811 - Requisition #15073
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
This purpose of this full-time, state classified position is to provide service to the campus community and to protect the property and facilities of the University of Colorado Denver by patrolling campus parking lots and the interior and exterior of university facilities and buildings; providing faculty, staff, and students personal escorts to their vehicles after dark; responding to campus emergencies; acting as an on scene liaison with the Aurora Fire Department; unlocking doors for staff; checking for fire and safety hazards; making initial contact with possible unauthorized persons pending the arrival of a police officer; etc.
Please Note: This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Utilize department computers and the University computer network as well as various types of software programs to review police reports, communicate via e-mail, review department policies and procedures located on various network drives, request time off via their employee portal, review their work record, and perform basic word processing.
- Participate in training in first aid and CPR, hazardous materials, chemical weapons, and other job related skills.
- Maintain proficiency and certification in all required skills.
- Provide personal escorts after hours.
- Provide access to areas for authorized persons.
- Work commencement exercises, other ceremonies, special events and public gatherings. Interacts with the public as well as the University community on a daily basis.
- Provide directions and assistance to employees, patients, visitors, and campus community members; aid motorists stranded in campus parking lots.
- Interact with the public as well as the University community on a daily basis.
- Present a positive image of the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus Police Department to the public.
- Respond to fire alarms, security system alarms, medical assists, and other campus emergencies.
- Assist emergency response units.
- Conduct foot and vehicle patrols of campus parking lots and perimeter to detect and deter offenders and suspicious activities.
- Patrol the interior and exterior of buildings by foot to ensure no unauthorized persons are in the building, doors are secure, all unneeded lights are shut off, etc.
- Lock and/or unlock exterior and interior doors, provide after-hours access to buildings/facilities/premises, conduct directed security patrols of high value areas.
Salary and Benefits
Hiring Salary Range: $2,527 - $2,794 / month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located atwww.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Any person with a disability as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To request an accommodation, please contact by phone or email at least five business days before the assessment date to allow us to evaluate your request and prepare for the accommodation. You may be asked to provide additional information, including medical documentation, regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed. Please ensure that you have this information available well in advance of the assessment date.
There are no education or experience requirements for entry into positions in this job class.
Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess and maintain a current State of Colorado Driver's License at time of hire and must not have acquired more than twelve (12) points in the last five (5) years.
- Must be able to perform moderate physical activity such as walking/standing for extended periods of time, walking up and down stairs of multiple story buildings, and assisting in subduing physically combative persons.
- Must be able to speak and comprehend English fluently.
- Must be willing and able to work rotating and/or straight shifts, weekends, and holidays; stay over late or come in early to cover shifts; and provide off-hour contact information to be accessible during non-work hours in case of emergencies or to cover unscheduled staffing shortages.
- Must be willing and able to pass a Police Department Background Check which may include: Personnel History Questionnaire, Integrity Interview, Polygraph Examination, Finger Print Check, Drug Screen, Credit/Civil Check, Criminal History and Driving Infractions Check, Reference Checks, and Post-Conditional Offer Pre-Placement Physical and Psychological Examination.
- Experience using Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Outlook
- Experience using an electronic security access system
- Experience communicating with and dealing with the public on a daily basis
- Experience working in a customer service focused position
- Experience as a security guard for a higher education and/or hospital facility
Competencies / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate with others in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Basic first aid, CPR, and hazardous materials and chemical weapons knowledge
- Basic computer and MS Office proficiency
- Ability to monitor surroundings and recognize irregularities
- Advanced troubleshooting and problem solving skills, and ability to respond quickly and appropriately under pressure
- Ability to understand and enforce laws, policies, protocols and procedures
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. • Physical Agility / Fitness Test. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until November 19, 2018. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60039 - ADM-VCAF University Police
Posting Date: Nov 5, 2018
Closing Date: Nov 19, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Carlos Miron
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00670811