$50,112 - $71,013
Under the general supervision of the Communications Supervisor, the Dispatcher will dispatch routine and emergency communications in support of a 24 hour 7 day per week operation at the UC Riverside Police Department. The Dispatcher is responsible for entering calls into the Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD); managing and routing 9-1-1 and Police telephone calls, and prioritizing dispatched calls for service to ensure the safety of all field personnel. The Dispatcher is also responsible for operating and monitoring numerous radios on various frequencies; monitoring fire, robbery and intrusion alarm systems; making inquiries and entries into computer systems; disseminating information to the proper authority; and operating numerous computer systems with connections to local, State and Federal Law enforcement systems. Applicants who meet the advertised job requirements will be given a pre-employment assessment as part of the selection process. This recruitment is for 2 opening.
Education and Experience: Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of experience performing complex administrative work including accessing and entering information into computer systems and databases.
Prior experience in entering and/or maintaining information in electronic and/or written format; handling difficult, sensitive and confidential situations tactfully; and accessing and updating various indexes.
Demonstrated skill in correct English usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar; rapid and accurate typing; and independently drafting and documenting correspondence pertaining to the operations, policies, and procedures of the functional area.
Demonstrated ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload, high call volume, interruptions and competing priorities and requirements; utilize excellent interpersonal skills while working as part of a team and collaborating with colleagues; maintain cooperative working relationships; model and promote the University's principles of community and commitment to diversity and inclusion; and work rotating shifts with changing days off in a 24-hour/7 day operation. The incumbent must also possess normal color vision, hearing and reaction times.
Prior experience working as a public safety dispatcher for a law enforcement agency or fire department.
Knowledge of UCR campus locations.
Proficient in the use of computers and computer applications, i.e., word processing, computer aided dispatch systems and Internet applications.
Recent completion of the POST Public Safety Dispatcher Course.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview