College Readiness Initiatives Specialist
Job ID: 24740
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: Developmental Studies
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Salary Range: $4,179 - $5,942
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Manager of College Readiness, the incumbent is responsible for developing and carrying out student-facing program components for the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP), Early Start Program (ESP), and other college readiness programs as they are developed. Responsibilities include communicating CSU academic readiness standards to high school students and staff in the SJSU service area through presentations, tabling, newsletters, and other outreach methods; distributing academic readiness materials to local high schools; creating and maintaining content for the SJSU EAP website; and developing innovative approaches to engaging high school students and staff in college readiness conversations. ESP responsibilities include developing and carrying out a robust communication plan to inform students of their Early Start requirements; providing guidance to students concerning their Early Start options and assisting them in enrolling into classes; maintaining website content; and responding to student inquiries by phone and email. Functions will require regular collaboration with campus offices and programs that affect and are affected by the ESP (e.g., Outreach, Orientation, Academic Advising, Developmental Studies, Testing Office, English, Mathematics, etc.).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop, schedule, and oversee outreach events and activities pertaining to college readiness, including high school presentations, teacher and counselor information events, teacher professional development workshops, etc.
- In collaboration with the Manager of College Readiness Programs, create and maintain an engaging and informative website that explains CSU placement standards as well as SJSU's campus plan, announces SJSU-sponsored EAP events, allows partners in secondary education to request information or presentations, and archives EAP outreach materials (flyers, brochures, newsletters, etc.)
- Create effective working relationships with officials from local high schools and districts (e.g., district superintendents and assistant superintendents, curriculum coordinators, testing coordinators, school principals and assistant principals, counselors, mathematics and English department chairs, and teachers).
- Create and maintain effective working relationships with campus partners (Academic Advising, Peer Connections, Transition and Retention Services, etc.), as well as other academic support programs operating in the SJSU service area (e.g., Cal-SOAP, Upward Bound, GEAR UP, etc.).
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field. Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Outreach, recruitment, and/or advising experience in a higher education environment or with prospective college students
- Experience coordinating a large, multi-faceted program in a higher education environment or with prospective college students
- Experience developing and executing a communication plan to program participants, customers, or clients.
- Experience interpreting and applying university policies regarding admissions, placement, and/or academic advising
- Excellent written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to quickly learn the history of remedial education at the CSU in general and at SJSU in particular, and an understanding of the transition to supported instruction, including the reasons for the transition and the specific forms of supported instruction used at SJSU and other CSU campuses
- Knowledge of CSU and SJSU college readiness and student success initiatives, including, but not limited to, the Early Assessment Program, the Early Start Program, and the CSU's Graduation Initiative 2025.
- Ability to obtain a valid California Driver's License.
- Knowledge of academic standards in secondary education, including the UC/CSU a-g eligibility requirements and the Common Core State Standards.
- Knowledge of software applications such as word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet programs and database management.
- Ability to gauge the effectiveness of program activities and modify them as appropriate.
- Ability to anticipate problems and address them proactively.
- Ability to network and program coordinate.
- Excellent interpersonal and outreach skills.
- Ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations.
- Ability to work with students, parents, faculty, and staff to address and resolve program issues.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment and to handle multiple work priorities through organization and planning.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with students, employees, and external agencies.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
Application Screening begins 09/21/2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046