Academic Department Administrator
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS) is the intellectual and creative backbone of the university, a place where the arts, the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences come together to form a nexus of ideas and opportunity. As a leader among the nation's liberal arts institutions because of an innovative curriculum that emphasizes perspectives, analyses, and communication, undergraduate students are equipped with the competencies needed to be effective and responsible citizens of the 21st Century.
The Department of Economics, which is located within walking distance of the Federal Reserve, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund the Federal Trade Commission, and the Office of Management and Budget, offers several options of study.
The Economics department is seeking an Academic Department Administrator. This position would act as a front desk receptionist, assisting with greeting guests, maintaining the office mail system, incoming phone calls, and similar functions. They would also attend to clerical needs, overseeing facility scheduling requests, following up on maintenance issues, assist department chair with syllabi gathering, academic scheduling, and course evaluations.
• Act as first point of contact for the program and the facility: greeting guests, answering phone calls, and checking program email or other digital message accounts. Provide timely, complete information in a friendly and helpful manner.
• Overseeing facility use and troubleshooting: schedule shared program spaces such as conference rooms. Identify, document, report, and follow up on all facility issues with appropriate maintenance or school staff
• Assist department chair with key academic tasks, namely preparing academic schedule, collecting and storing syllabi, overseeing the deployment, collection, and tabulation of student course evaluations
• Attend to clerical needs of staff and faculty located in the facility - assist with basic troubleshooting, office supply ordering, and assisting faculty with clerical projects such as mailing, photocopies, and data compilation.
• At direction of supervisor, handle basic financial transactions including purchasing supplies, reconciling PCard bills, maintaining basic expense trackers, and other occasional, entry-level accounting activities.
• Manage front office space including overseeing any student workers, engaging in basic housekeeping to keep the front office tidy, professional, and functional.
• Attend departmental and Columbian College staff meetings, integrate and coordinate with other Economics administrative staff on key special projects as directed by supervisor.
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications: Typical Hiring Range $18.11 - $23.52 How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Administration Sub-Family Academic Department Administration Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:30am-5:30pm Position Designation: Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007752 Job Open Date: 11/05/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter