Electrician I - Facilities-18001562
Electrician I - Facilities-18001562
The Department of Facilities Services is responsible for the efficient and cost-effective operations, maintenance and management of all Tufts University facilities consisting of approximately 5 million square feet of space on three campuses (Somerville/Medford, Grafton, and Boston).
A broad range of services are provided to support the University campuses including: facility maintenance by all trades, capital maintenance, information technology systems for operations (work control, time capture, preventative maintenance), energy and utilities systems, recycling and waste management, event services, residential facilities coordination, grounds maintenance and facility condition assessment and tracking. Facilities Services plays a critical role in planning for the $30M/year deferred maintenance investment.
Related functions, which require close coordination with this department, are public and environmental health and safety, campus planning and design and construction of capital and deferred maintenance projects including major repairs, renovations and new construction.
Reporting to facilities management, the Electrician I is responsible to assemble, install, test and maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, commercial applications to ensure that such systems are functioning effectively and efficiently. The Electrician I must have experience diagnosing malfunctioning systems, equipment and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem. The Electrician I is responsible for the connection of wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components. The Electrician I is responsible to make sure that everything is installed in a safe manner and done in accordance with relevant codes. This position is considered essential as defined in the Tufts University Employee Handbook.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience as an Electrician in the facilities maintenance industry. Preferably 10+ years of experience in the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of industrial electrical equipment with related training. Additional related education may be substituted for work experience.
- Valid Massachusetts electrician's license.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid US driver's license.
- Strong knowledge of national, state and local electrical codes (NFPA 70, 70e,) and regulations.
- Must be able to read and comprehend blueprints.
- Must have working knowledge of computers in a Windows environment, BAS systems (JCI and Schneider helpful), and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems.
- Must have good oral and written communications skills with the ability to read, write and comprehend the English language.
- Must possess solid time management and organizational skills, work well under pressure and juggle multiple tasks effectively prioritizing competing requirements.
- Must be able to work professionally and tactfully with fellow employees, faculty, students and staff; deal with difficult people and/ or stressful scenarios.
- Must maintain a professional appearance at all times and adhere to the University's uniform policy.
- Must be physically able to meet all job requirements.
- Solid time management skills including the ability to multi-task, tactfully deal with unforeseen challenges and people and work well in a team setting with other technicians and trades professional.
- Required to work indoors and outdoors in potentially cramped space, during inclement weather year-round.
- Associates degree or higher in relevant field.
- Master Electrician's license.
- Knowledge of Medium Voltage (5 - 13 kV) Electrical Distribution Systems helpful.
- Boston F-1 License (For Boston Campus)
- Proficiency in the use of Maximo CMMS system.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Monday – Friday, 11:30pm to 7:30am.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Facilities Medford - Trades A
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Sep 6, 2018, 9:43:04 AM