HVAC Mechanic I Facilities Boston-18001804
HVAC Mechanic I Facilities Boston-18001804
Tufts University’s Facilities department provides professional, high quality and cost effective services to the faculty, staff and students of the University. The commitment includes planning, building, maintaining and operating the department to maximize long-term value. Each Facilities employee is expected to meet the needs of our customers and to strive to exceed their expectations.
Under the direction of the Trades Supervisor will perform duties which may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Troubleshoot, inspect, clean and repair refrigeration, heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems and components.
- Install and start new equipment and controls.
- Troubleshoot, inspect, clean and repair heating boilers including oil burners, steam and hot water distribution systems and various controls.
- Use hand and power tools and refrigeration and air conditioning gauges and other similar measuring equipment.
- Implement a preventative maintenance program by developing scheduled work orders per manufacturer’s equipment.
- Maintain equipment manuals and repair records manually and in Maximo software system.
- Inspects and operates air conditioning units and machinery to determine that all are functioning properly.
- Ability to supervise one or more Mechanics and/or Trades Helpers.
- Read thermometers and gauges, and records readings.
- Tests efficiency of system with instruments and makes adjustment to thermostatic controls.
- Perform similar or related duties as assigned.
- Position requires extensive experience and knowledge in the maintenance, installation and cleaning of various types of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment and systems. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have had a minimum of knowledge/experience base in the HVAC trade with at least 10 years of professional experience in the HVAC field.
- The HVAC Mechanic will be asked to use hand and power tools and refrigeration and air conditioning gauges, meters and other similar measuring equipment associated with the trades. Reading, writing and comprehension of the English language is required as well as the ability to compute addition, subtraction, multiplication and division functions using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Must be mature, adaptable and have the ability to work pleasantly and tactfully with his/her fellow employees, faculty, students and staff.
- Candidate must have current, valid Massachusetts Drivers license. Must possess a current, valid Massachusetts Journeyman’s Refrigeration license and Sheet Metal License. Certification in EPA/DEP and Universal CFC reclamation is required. High school diploma or equivalent is required. Trade or vocational school is strongly preferred.
- Must be able to read blueprints and HVAC diagrams, repair and program JCI controls and demonstrate ability to use our Maximo Maintenance System. Must work with minimal supervision.
- Physical demands include, but are not limited to, lifting up to 80 pounds, working at various heights and in limited area crawl spaces and the ability to access all areas of the campus.
- Must be physically able to meet requirements on attached listing.
- Trade or vocational school is strongly preferred.
- To complete jobs using the right knowledge and materials, and to do so in a safe and timely manner.
- Develop new and creative ways of keeping the exterior of the buildings (campus) well maintained.
- Maintain the mindset that we are a service organization and strive to improve on service both as an individual and as part of a department. Proving to the customer that you are working in their best interests.
- Minimum of 5 years of Digital Controls experience.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Organization: Facilities Services - Boston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Nov 20, 2018, 8:23:12 AM