Instructional Lab Manager - Biomedical Engineering
Job no: 496415
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Biomedical Engineering
Applications Open: Nov 05 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
This individual provides instructional and operational support to Biomedical Engineering Laboratories, as well as support to BME research facilities and faculty. Additionally, secondary support is provided to Perry Hall laboratories.
1. Laboratory Support:
- Support all Biomedical Engineering teaching laboratories.
- Provide support as necessary to Biomedical Engineering research labs or labs where Biomedical Engineering faculty perform research.
- Maintain a safe environment in all labs for all faculty, staff and students. Keep labs clean and equipment in working order.
2. Educational Support:
- Work with faculty, select, procure and install equipment to fulfill teaching mission of department. Maintain equipment in working order.
- Keep laboratories supplied and maintained in order to deliver coursework. Work with Department Chair and Faculty on appropriate budgeting.
- Work with faculty, prepare laboratories for each lab session as required. Provide instruction and or training to students as required.
3. Research Support:
- Work with faculty, select, procure and install equipment to fulfill research mission of department.
- Maintain equipment in working order.
- Support faculty in supplying their research labs.
4. College Support:
- Provide additional support to other laboratories in Perry Hall (i.e., Chemical, Civil and Environmental, Biomanufacturing and Energy) as needed and available. This may include procuring, installing, maintaining, and cleaning equipment and labs.
- Work with and supervise students/part time help as necessary
Promote the University's commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information.
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Support laboratory operations throughout the College as necessary
Flexible hours including occasional weekend days depending on the semester class size in order to accommodate course lab requirements. Also, open house and recruiting events along with competitions and other events require flexible scheduling.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Master's degree in Biomedical Engineering, or a related field, with 5+ years of experience
- Self-starter, reliable, motivated in one's work, with a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Understanding of engineering processes related to lab equipment set up, maintenance, and repair
- Well-developed conceptual, analytical and communications skills
- Ability to create, read, and interpret engineering schematics
- The ability to work effectively with diverse populations including students, staff, and faculty
- Previous supervisory and teaching experience at the University level is preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.