Senior Student Accounts Representative
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date September 6, 2018
Position Title Senior Student Accounts Representative
Vacancy # VC-414
Department Finance and Treasury
Division Treasury And Finance
Under the direction of the Associate Director of Student Accounts, this position is responsible for day-to-day operations. The Senior Student Accounts Representative must be able to provide customer service and communicate financial information to students, parents, as well as other employees at Montclair State University. This person must be able to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes accounts payable/receivable transactions (by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers or automatic debit).
- Processes a variety of in person transactions and services, this includes accepting payments for students and the University community.
- Reconciles cash and other ledgers; maintains control records for various student fees, tuition deposits, credit card, payment plan and various other online payment gateways.
- Adds journal entries to general ledger for various departmental deposits using People Soft and/or Workday financial system.
- Works with Accounting to settle all payment amounts recorded on the bank statement.
- Works with Banner AR Veteran representative to post and reconcile all wire payments for students.
- Develops communication to send to students or departments informing them of the return.
- Supervises and maintains control accounts for designated funds, such as the supply budget using Procurement People Soft and/or Workday.
- Balances cash drawer at the end of each day or multiple times in one day, determined on the flow of traffic (tallying receipts, resolving discrepancies, preparing and maintaining various records, reports and files of transaction data).
- Reviews, analyzes and confirms the accuracy of varied types of bank statements, bills, vouchers, receipts, summaries, and financial records.
- Prepares daily and monthly cash reports, periodic financial statements and revenue reports.
- Organizes and maintains individual clerical bookkeeping records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Two (2) years of experience in work involving the keeping of varied types of records of a bookkeeping nature.
- Five (5) years of experience in customer service and in a bookkeeper position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word and Banner.
- Ability to work well with a team or independently in a fast-paced environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of department rules, regulations, policies, procedures, organization, and functions and of the problems likely to be encountered on a daily basis.
- High-level of attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Strong listening, problem analysis and solving skills.
*NOTE: This is a civil service position. After successfully serving a 4-Month Working Test Period as required by the State of New Jersey, you will then be certified to your position, meaning you will attain a permanent status in this title.
Salary Range: R12: $36,027.10-$50,353.48
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $40,802.56.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION