Media Relations Coordinator
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date September 6, 2018
Position Title Media Relations Coordinator
Vacancy # V-1536
Department Media Relations
Division University Advancement
Reporting to the Director of Media Relations, the Media Relations Coordinator will have a varied range of tasks and will assume a significant role in supporting all aspects of University communications, including public and media relations, press event coordination, research, web and social media content creation, social media monitoring, social media online community management and analysis of performance metrics. The Media Relations Coordinator will assist with dissemination of public messaging including crisis communications as well as strategic communications designed to advance the mission, reputation, and brand of the University.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for coordinating, writing and producing digital content for social media and the web, based on University news, activities, initiatives and announcements. Primary focus is on finding stories, developing posts, covering campus activities and events (including shooting photos and video) with the goal of creating short-form posts designed to support the University's mission and brand.
- Oversee MSU-related social media accounts across the University (i.e. colleges, departments, programs, etc.) and serve as liaison with other content and social media managers to insure there is a unified voice consistent with brand standards and social media best practices.
- Analyze and report on social media trends, best practices and relevant developments in the higher education sector.
- Provide social media metrics and analytics and generate performance reports.
- Assist in 24/7 monitoring of digital channels for University-relevant posts/threads.
- Assist in fulfilling a range of media requests for photography, interviews with University faculty and leadership, etc. per Director and Assistant Director.
- Field public inquiries and refer accordingly.
- Assist with media visits to campus (i.e. film crews, interviews, event coverage).
- Additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated experience in communications, social media management and content creation.
- Proficiency in range of social media platforms.
- Basic photography and video production skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft suites.
- Deadline driven and detail oriented.
Commensurate with experience
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION