Laboratory Services Mgr 1
Laboratory Services Mgr 1
Job Number: 80800
GSE Makery Lab Manager
Who We Are:
The Stanford University Graduate School of Education (GSE) is a top-ranked school of education, known for its prestigious faculty, rigorous graduate degree programs, and its impact on the quality of education across the world. The GSE is committed to developing leaders in education research, practice and policy. Our community includes over 60 faculty, 400 students, 200 staff, 8,000 alumni and countless people from the local and global communities we work with and impact. The work environment is dynamic, deadline-driven, fast-paced, and energetic.
The GSE's newly renovated maker space (currently known as the “Makery”) serves as a space focused on formal and informal teaching and learning. While primarily serving the students of the GSE, the space will also serve faculty, students, and staff from across campus. Our mission is to develop inclusive pedagogical and curricular opportunities through making.
What You'll Do:
Reporting to the Director of the Makery, this position will maintain and manage the day-to-day operations of the GSE's maker space. This position will be responsible for space, equipment, supplies and funds management for the space and its users, as well as compliance, training and outreach.
The Space: Oversee the operations and management of this learning facility.
- Maintain facilities, security of space, equipment and supplies.
- Oversee layout, allocation and tracking of space among multiple constituents.
- Managing and staffing the space, ensuring open hours access as well as preparation for groups and classes.
- Manage key card access for all users.
- Run usage reports.
Equipment & Supplies: Monitor, assess and track equipment needs, contracts and maintenance.
- Perform and/or coordinate preventative maintenance and repair of all equipment.
- Recommend and purchase upgrades/replacements and oversee installation and implementation of new equipment.
- Manage supply budget and order all supplies.
- Negotiate service contracts and warranties with vendors.
Training & Compliance: Administer onboarding and training programs.
- Train and onboard space users (including faculty, students and staff).
- Stay current on health, safety and compliance issues and update space practices and training as needed.
Outreach and Reporting: Provide reports and contribute to strategies to assess space and promote collaboration.
- Provide quarterly usage and budget reports to the Director.
- In collaboration with the director, reach out to new faculty and students to orient them to the space.
- Be the point person for inquiries about space usage and capabilities within and beyond the GSE.
- Maintain the Makery calendar.
- Maintain info on the Makery web site.
- Update marketing/branding as needed.
- Staff advisory group meetings quarterly (schedule, invite, agenda, etc.).
Administration: Provide administrative support for the Makery.
- Provide general administrative and research support to the users of the Makery.
- Maintain p-card and ensure compliance.
- Administer funds to or from students/faculty for projects involving the space.
- Support GSE development for maker space project support.
What You'll Bring:
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience. Master's degree in relevant area of study (learning sciences, education, engineering) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of academic facility needs.
- General background in a discipline related to the work of specific lab(s).
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple budgets.
- Knowledge and experience in managing facilities, operations, maintenance, space, and equipment administration in a research or teaching setting. Previous experience in a maker space is a plus.
- Excellent communication and customer services skills.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects in a complex and technical environment.
- Familiarity with health and safety compliance regulations.
Why Stanford is for You:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
- Job Series and Code: Laboratory Services Manager, 4946
- Grade H, Salary Range, Exemption Status: Exempt
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, you must submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application.
- This position is fixed-term through 10/31/2019, and may be renewable based on performance and funding.
- Finalist must successfully complete a background check prior to working at Stanford University.
- Applicants to this position must be available to work in the United States without sponsorship for 2 years or more. OPT permit holders should confirm that they are eligible to work in the US at the Stanford GSE for two years or more. There's no visa sponsorship for this position.
- Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Location: Graduate School of Education, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency