Director of Learning Design
Are you a leader in learning design? Are you passionate about improving student outcomes and uncovering best practices in learning design? Are you energized by empowering others to create remarkable, effective courses?
Soomo Learning is seeking a leader to guide the design and development of learning resources across disciplines and products.
About Soomo Learning
Since 2004, Soomo has been partnering with institutions to develop high-quality, customizable, interactive digital textbooks for higher education. Its founding mission is to “create resources that work better and cost less than a traditional textbook.” Because this requires much more than simply changing a textbook, Soomo has focused on improving student outcomes through collaboration with faculty, data-informed iteration, and careful attention to the specific problems at hand. Today Soomo has become an organization built to uncover the teaching strategies and technical tools that will best enable student success in any given course. The company provides a broad range of services, technology, and content development for the design, delivery, and improvement of online and blended learning courses.
People are the most important part of Soomo. The employees are not just great individuals, but a team of people who have chosen to invest their careers in creating the best possible online learning experiences.
The Director of Learning Design will be responsible for ensuring that all products meet Soomo’s design standards and that each iteration continues to advance the art and science of effective instruction. This person will be responsible for analyzing, collaborating with, and coaching a growing team of editors, designers, and subject-matter experts. Responsibilities include supporting the team in critically and creatively applying best practices as they analyze, design, build, and improve their titles and courses. In addition, the Director will help further Soomo’s core commitment to providing exemplary customer service to clients, faculty, and students. The position also involves successfully partnering with client schools and guiding them toward embracing well-founded design practices. Key aspects include applying learning science as well as conducting original research and sharing results with the larger community. Serving in a key role within the organization, the Director of Learning Design will ultimately be responsible for the management of effective people, processes, and practices.
Desired Experience and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ years of relevant experience (required)
- Experience with cross-organizational team management and client collaboration
- Portfolio of design work applying solid instructional practices and design thinking
- Skill in articulating useful learning outcomes and aligning coursework accordingly
- An affinity for creating effective formative and summative assessment
- The ability to effectively coach others
- The capabilities to successfully oversee project management and process improvement
- Proven track record of testing assumptions and applying research in innovative ways
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A graduate degree in relevant field such as cognitive psychology, learning design, learning science, or similar
How to Apply
If you’re ready to join an exceptional team and continue advancing practices in digital learning, email Teamed at [email protected] and include your cover letter and resume. Please note that learning design samples and references will be requested during the interview process.