Reading Recovery Trainer and Assistant Professor of Literacy Education (Non-Tenure)
National Louis University is currently seeking an experienced Reading Recovery Teacher Leader and Assistant Professor of Literacy Education (Non-Tenure) who will transition over a 2-3 year period into the role of Reading Recovery Trainer of Teacher Leaders. The strongest candidate will be an experienced Reading Recovery Teacher Leader and have a record 5 years of successful experience working in collaborative partnerships within K-8 classroom teachers, specialists, school administrators and district level leaders in linguistically and culturally diverse communities. Start Date for this position will be no later than September 1, 2019.
Responsibilities of this position including, but not limited to: • Teaching graduate courses preparing Reading Recovery teachers and teacher leader candidates • Meet national standards for role and responsibilities of Reading Recovery professionals • Monitoring local and regional implementations of Reading Recovery across multi-state area • Development, recruitment and expansion of School partnerships • Conducting research and annual program evaluations • Providing on-site coaching for teachers and leaders as well as technical assistance to school systems • Designing and providing annual continuing professional development sessions for school based teachers, leaders, and administrators • Networking and communicating effectively with school district leaders • Remaining actively in practice by tutoring young children in a school setting • Implementation, development, and expansion of Reading Recovery and Partnerships in Comprehensive Literacy • Communicate effectively with national and international university training centers • Study and analyze research, legislation, school policy, scholarly publications, current theory relevant to literacy teaching and learning and school improvement processes
This position will include one academic year of post-doctorate study and mentoring progressing toward assuming the role of Reading Recovery Trainer of Teacher Leaders within three years of hiring date. The first year will primarily focus on successfully completing post-doctorate study, teaching and administration to prepare for Center Directorship and Trainer of Teacher Leaders; practicum working with children in a cooperating school; participating in local and regional continuing professional development sessions, as well as visiting other national university training centers. Year two, this person will teach post-graduate courses to prepare Teacher Leaders and share in the management of RR Center operations gradually assuming increasing responsibility. Finally, this individual will conceivably share the responsibility for managing all operations of the center.
• Nationally registered and recently active Reading Recovery Teacher Leader. • Minimum 5-year record of successful teaching experience in linguistically diverse K-8 grade classrooms. Successful record of tutoring first grade children.
• Experience teaching at university level or providing professional development to practicing teachers • Demonstrated evidence of leadership, showing exceptional competence in working effectively within an educational K-8 or university setting.
• Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Record of active participation in appropriate professional associations.
• Demonstrated ability to produce publishable research and scholarly work
• Fluency with various technology formats including but not limited video teleconferencing, video recording and editing, Google Classroom, Google Drive, document and presentation creations, website development, social media tools.
• Excellent reading, writing and speaking skills
• Experience with the Partnerships in Comprehensive Literacy model or other school improvement initiatives
• Experience in grant writing and/or obtaining external funding
• Experience teaching in bilingual (Spanish/English) and/or ESL classrooms
• Bilingual in English/ Spanish
• Certified as Descubriendo La Lectura Teacher Leader
• Master’s Degree plus 30 hours of post grad work in an education field and/or to be able to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge, expertise, and recognition as attested to by experts within the field is required.
• Terminal degree in a relevant field (literacy education, teacher education, bilingual, ESL, school leadership) or ABD with an established completion date is preferred.