Master Craftsperson - Plumber (Marietta)
Advanced level technical position; ability to work independently on highly complex plumbing tasks requiring extensive experience, skills and training; some supervision required; some supervision of other technicians; high level of knowledge of disciplines outside their trade
- Inspects buildings, fixtures, machines and other structural and/or mechanical units, noting need for repair, performs minor and preventative maintenance.
- Assists other technicians on emergency and corrective maintenance.
- Performs independent and high level complex maintenance work including detection and correction of mechanical systems.
- Maintains, repairs and replaces all plumbing and plumbing related fixtures on university property.
- Maintains, and repairs sewage and storm water systems including runoff, acids, solvents; on equipment such as dilution basins, grease traps and neutralization tanks.
- Performs excavation, trench protection and backfilling as required by maintenance and installation work.
- Performs brazing, soldering, threading, compression joints, flaring and other methods common to the trade.
- Advanced knowledge of sprinkler systems and fire suppression systems.
- Performs minor installation or modification work on liquid, gas and steam piping systems.
- Working on active systems, energized and de-energized equipment in compliance with NFPA and BOR safety standards.
- Scheduling of in-house contract work for facilities operations projects and repairs.
- Assume duties and responsibilities during foreperson’s absence.
- Mentor and train personnel as needed, requested, or assigned.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
- Must be on call.
- There will be mandatory overtime and/or hours outside the normal work schedule for this position. This includes evening, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, equipment and materials, used in a variety of building and mechanical trades.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions in the use of tools and equipment.
- Able to diagnose malfunctions and defects in equipment; determine the appropriate corrective measures.
- Ability to understand and comply with building, electrical, fire, and plumbing codes and other technical standards and specifications as required.
- Ability to adapt to changing work environments.
- Ability to build upon existing knowledge in technical application of maintenance work.
- Knowledge of appropriate safety standards.
- Must be able to work day shift, night shift or weekend schedules.
- Able to deal with multiple tasks or projects at one time.
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, technology, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management.
- Proficient with computer applications and programs.
- Advanced working knowledge of plumbing and fire suppression systems
- Ability to work with hand tools in a safe manner
- Ability to use and understand all meters/test equipment related to plumbing maintenance components
Operate heavy machinery and electrical equipment.
Operate and work in extreme temperatures and heights including aerial lifts and ladders
Knowledge of confined space entry procedures
Knowledge of EPA chemical disposal procedures and documentation
- ICC Plumbing Inspector Certificate or ICC Plans Examiner Certification (Active)
- Plumbing/Journeyman License - State of Georgia (Active)
Position requires the ability to read and interpret blueprints, schematic drawing charts and technical instructions; accurately maintain equipment inventory and historical records