Our Master Craftsperson, Lead level Technician, will work with students and faculty to assist in fabrication of components, fabricate test specimens and parts for research and student projects utilizing CNC and highly technical machinery and industrial equipment and software. They will ensure that all equipment is operating properly and in good safe working order through inspections and proper maintenance as well as recommend and specify new equipment or equipment upgrades. The candidate will supervise and train student assistants to ensure all operations are completed in a safe manor and following all safety procedures and taking precautions as applicable. They will also maintain quality standards for fabricated items to ensure a professional finish and appearance. This person will be responsible for the completion of tasks and projects related to systematic inspection, detection, and correction of incipient failures of equipment or facilities of equipment either before they occur or before they develop into major defects.
- Design complex precision components, mechanical devices and structures utilizing computer aided design (CAD)and manufacturing (CAM) software to create complex technical drawings for fabrication that meet stakeholder requirements and specifications
- Fabricate complex precision components and mechanical devices and structures from technical drawings and computer images utilizing computer numerically controlled (CNC) equipment, and typical machine shop machinery
- Maintain inventory of tools, materials and operating supplies
- Maintain appropriate mechanical equipment and records
- Establish quantities on hand for equipment supplies (such as aggregate for water jet cutting) and ensure stock is available for fabrication when needed
- Read and interpret complex CAD documentation for mechanical components
- Supervise, set-up and operate CNC Lathes, water jet cutters, welders, mills, torches, robotic arms and & CNC Mills
- Ensure all students and graduate assistants are following safe practices and receive proper training
- Prepare materials for fabrication by studying, drawing specifications, laying out cutting. operations to maximize material usage and minimize waste, gathering tools and materials needed to complete fabrication processes
- Properly plan projects and lab activities for effective utilization of time, materials and equipment and ensure on time completion of assignments
- Serve as the highest level of support for debugging and modifying computer code and machine scripts
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with University policies and procedures
- Complete periodic training courses and maintain current with changing technology and manufacturing processes
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Position may require using some or all of the following metal machining equipment/operations
- CNC water jet cutting
- CNC Laser equipment
- Technical Degree, Vocational Degree, Associates Degree, or two-years of college level course-work in machining or related field.
5-7 years of relevant industrial experience with 1 year CNC machining experience with experience in producing high quality objects that may be used in presentations.
Ability to work in high places necessary
Valid state driver's license is mandatory
Must be able to work dayshift, nightshift or weekend schedules
Extensive knowledge of appropriate safety standards is essential.
Detailed knowledge of G-code and various CNC machining equipment
- Knowledge of materials and proper specifications for fabrication of parts
- Operational knowledge of SolidWorks or similar CAD software,
- Operational knowledge of Computer Aided Manufacturing CAM software,
- Professional welding experience,
- Milling and machining experience,
- Knowledge of detailed maintenance of metal working machinery,
- Ability to debug and determine causes of equipment failures using technical manuals and other support,
- Knowledge of standard industrial shop safety policies and procedures,
- Must have effective verbal and written communications skills,
- Must have effective organizational skills in project planning and shop operations,
- Must be self-motivated and have effective people skills in dealing with students, staff, faculty and others.
- Ability to work with deadlines
- Technical Degree, Vocational Degree, Associates Degree, or two-years of college level course-work in machining or related field
- One year of CNC machining experience in producing high quality objects that may be used in presentations
- Any of the following:
- Certification in welding
- Certified CNC Machinist documentation
- Tool and Die Maker certification
- Or any other professional certification in manufacturing processes from an accredited institution
- Licenses Preferred: Certification in welding, Certified CNC Machinist documentation, Tool and die maker certification.
- Any other professional certification in Manufacturing processes from an accredited institution.