ESL PART-TIME INSTRUCTORS
Open date: May 8th, 2018
Next review date: May 23rd, 2018
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: June 30th, 2019
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
English Language Programs, within UCI's Division of Continuing Education, seeks applicants for part-time ESL teaching positions in our intensive-English, 4-Week, and custom programs for international students in 2018 and 2019. Teachers will join a collegial, professional teaching environment that prizes excellence and has welcomed and trained international students for more than 30 years. Our students hold full-time study visas and focus primarily on building academic skills. Classes include grammar, writing, reading, speaking & listening, and a range of elective topics. Programs may also focus on test-prep, English for Specific Purposes (e.g. Business English, STEM), or American culture topics. Part-time teachers are offered classes on a by-quarterly basis and may teach up to an average of 10 hours a week. Teaching assignments are made a few days before classes begin and are based on student enrollments.
All classes are on-ground ESL classes. Classes meet Monday-Friday and are scheduled variously between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Service Period Dates:
• Summer 2018 10-Week IEP: June 27-September 6
• Summer 2018 4-Week Conversation & Culture: July, August, September
• Summer 2018 4-Week Business English: July, August, September
• Summer 2018 2- to 4-Week custom-designed programs for high school students
• Fall 2018 10-Week IEP: October - mid-December
• Winter 2019 10-Week IEP: January - mid-March
• Winter 2019 4-Week Conversation & Culture: January, February
• Winter 2019 4-Week Business English: January, February
• Spring 2019 10-Week IEP: April - mid-June
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications throughout the year. When the division has a need to fill, we refer to the pool of applications on file.
• Master's degree in TESOL or Applied Linguistics, or in a closely-related field with a TESL certificate
• Minimum three years of successful ESL teaching experience including intensive English or similar with international students
• Proficiency in English suitable to the position
• Ability to work in the United States
• Proficiency in a second language
• Experience living abroad
• Current active involvement in the field (TESOL, CATESOL).
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching a wide range of ESL (IEP) levels and skills
• Proven record of contributing to a supportive team environment
• Experience with computer-aided instruction and Learning Management Systems
• Experience teaching English for Specific Purposes
• Experience teaching high-school students
• Experience preparing students for TOEFL or IELTS.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Teach excellently and with enthusiasm
• Participate in required orientations, and complete mandatory training programs by UC Irvine-established deadlines
• Attend pre-program class-planning meeting
• Attend two teacher meetings and the quarterly day-long in-service
• Become familiar with and follow program's Instructor Handbook and curricular guidelines
• Submit all required hiring and class paperwork by set deadlines
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities with a communicative aim to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Attend awards/graduation ceremony after classes on program's final day
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04608
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
3 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now