Audio Visual Engineering Specialist
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 6, 2018
Position Title Audio Visual Engineering Specialist
Vacancy # V-1488
Department Technical Support Services
Division Information Technology
Reporting to the Manager Audio Visual Engineering, the Audio Video Engineering Specialist is responsible for assisting and leading in the programming and deployment of the University's mediated classrooms, e-conference facilities and media enriched meeting spaces and to ensure all teaching facilities and mediated spaces are properly maintained and fully operational. Working with the Manager Audio Visual Engineering, ensure that new spaces and upgrades are deployed in a manner that is consistent with established standards at the University. Monitor the work of Student Assistants and staff to ensure that the AV policies and procedures are being followed and suggest improvements when necessary. Monitor systems within our Fusion software environment to proactively address potential issues before they are reported by faculty and staff whenever possible.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Program new systems and update programming in existing systems to support user needs.
- Oversee the installation of new and refresh systems to verify proper connectivity and functionality. Troubleshoot installation issues as needed. Update device firmware as needed.
- Oversee installations and upgrades performed directly by MSU AV staff. Direct with regard to proper terminations and troubleshooting steps. Verify that all work is completed properly.
- Provide AV system training and support for faculty and staff, including the creation of tutorials and end user documentation.
- Assist with the maintenance of classroom, meeting room, and event Multi-Media systems and equipment, including Crestron, Extron, Vaddio and Cisco Video Conferencing equipment as well as lecture capture systems. Responsibilities include developing procedures and processes to proactively maintain complex classroom AV and control systems, including documenting those procedures and overseeing the completion of this work is performed in a timely manner.
- Analyze installed AV equipment and control systems for ease of operation and effectiveness and make recommendations for upgrading or replacing systems and equipment.
- Identify and advise management on emerging technology setups, testing and verification of the solutions.
- Operate, maintain, troubleshoot and provide expert support for a wide variety of established and emerging media, computer and classroom technology systems and services.
- Focus on consistently providing best in class support to the technology Client community of faculty and staff, in the classroom and in support of all University meetings and events.
- Prioritize and respond to audio visual requests and service calls.
- Assist the AV support team in managing the inventory of AV assets in all mediated spaces.
- Support documentation and distribution process of technical /specifications requirements and test procedures.
- Maintain documentation of repairs and troubleshooting of appropriate existing equipment through ServiceNow ticketing system.
- Establish and maintain effective communication and cooperative working relationships with university faculty, administration, staff, government, and private agencies and/or the public in order to accomplish the objectives of the program or unit.
- Assist AV support staff in diagnosing and troubleshooting all non-functional media equipment. Provide instruction and direction with regard to these steps to improve staff skills in this area.
- Attend appropriate hardware and software training classes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college and/or or 3-5 years' work experience in AY integration and support with a clear understanding of advanced AV systems design and integration practices.
- Must have experience programming and troubleshooting Crestron control systems.
- Must have experience working with audio DSP solutions such as Biamp and BSS.
- Must have equipment expertise in current projectors, flat panel displays, visual presenters, interactive digital presentation, audio amplifiers and mixers, various audio and video switching devices and electronic control systems.
- Must have a strong knowledge of basic networking as its application to audio visual systems.
- Working knowledge of AV/Digital Media Equipment and related configuration items such as EDID, DHCP and CEC.
- Must have experience working with Crestron Fusion software.
- Must have experience maintaining systems and equipment including but not limited to: Crestron, Extron, Biamp, Cisco, Shure, Sony, Panasonic, BENQ.
- Must have knowledge of video conferencing solutions (e.g., Cisco, Zoom, WebEx, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.)
- Must be able to train the campus community in a clear, concise and organized manner.
- Ability to evaluate procedures and/or performance and develop alternative methods to improve procedures and/or performance to meet institution, division, and unit objectives.
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships and coordinate programs with other offices or organizations that impact on or relate to work of the program or unit.
- Wide knowledge of the principles and techniques essential to performance of the specific responsibilities assigned.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of college policies and procedures.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of basic budget principles and techniques.
- Ability to understand, analyze, interpret and apply established law, regulations, procedures, precedents and guidelines.
- Ability to organize assigned work, analyze problems and develop appropriate work methods.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds without assistance.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Crestron Certified Programmer certification.
- DSP Programming certification.
- Crestron DMC-E or DMC-E certification.
- Crestron Fusion Programmer (CTI-FUSION-P) certification.
- Certified Technology Specialist (CTS) certification(s).
- Experience with Lecture Capture technology.
- Working knowledge of video streaming platforms, video network delivery methods, video presentation layers and technologies, video streaming protocols (i.e. RTP, UDP, RTSP, HLS, RTMP, MPEG-DASH), and video codecs (i.e. H.264, MPEG2, vp8, ProRes). Knowledge of TCP/IP LAN/wireless networking principles and application protocols, i.e. HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP and FTP.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION