Manager, TRIO Talent Search
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499.
The Manager, TRIO Talent Search ensures the development of quality educational programming for the Educational Talent Search participants by providing support services in the manner consistent with college policies, the objectives and standards of the U. S. Department of Education guidelines for TRIO Educational Talent Search, and federal regulations governing grant programs.
- Develops, implements, manages and evaluates a variety of student services' activities geared towards secondary students and related to the persistence and retention towards postsecondary transition and completion
- Supervises and directs assessment related to advisement- academic/registration, career development, financial aid, and crisis intervention for program participants
- Hires, trains, and supervises staff in accordance with LSCS policies. Conducts performance evaluations for program staff developing individual professional development plans for each staff member to maintain optimal performance
- Responsible for the integrity of the Program records, which support state/federal, reports
- Responsible for submitting annual performance reports relating to funding and for statistical and narrative reports related to grant to ensure compliance with LSCS policies
- Interprets and implements state/federal regulations and System policies and procedures related to the program; monitors compliance
- Prepares departmental objectives, evaluates the quality of services provided and determines ways to improve services and implement changes
- Prepares reports, proposals, and recommendations for overall program; keeps detailed records of assigned activities
- Develops, implements, and evaluates recruitment activities for Program to coincide with other student recruitment strategies
- Accountable for monitoring the integrity of the database, evaluating grant performance, and periodic reporting
- Monitors grant expenditures while adhering to federal regulations
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to plan, lead and organize efforts to fully develop the program per federal regulations and LSCS guidelines
- Skilled in creative thinking with proven record of success in building innovative programming
- Proven ability to produce accurate, detailed analytical reports
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Skilled in creating and maintaining an effective organizational structure and positive work environment
- Knowledge of budget to include planning, allocation and analysis
- Skilled in working independently
- Skilled in researching and obtaining external funding sources
- Skilled in hiring, supervising and training employees
- Knowledge of computer technology/common office software to access data, maintain records, generate reports and communicate with others
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skill to support interaction with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge of federal grant regulations, particularly TRiO programs
- Demonstrated ability to compile student data for dissemination and reporting purposes
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are Word or pdf files.
You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Bachelor degree in education, psychology, sociology, social work, student personnel or a closely related field from an accredited college/university, and at least 3 years of experience supervising, coordinating or managing services for under-represented populations or at-risk students
- Master's Degree
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100) , 2700 WW Thorne Dr , Houston , 77073
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC North Harris - 01
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Nov 2, 2018, 4:33:55 PM