Physical Therapist - Per Diem
Physical Therapist - Per Diem-1803386
The TH Physical Therapist II is a valuable member of the Long Island State Veterans Home’s clinical team who is responsible for assessing, evaluating and planning treatment for all residents, carrying out treatments on restorative residents, and supervising the maintenance care provided by PT Assistants and Aides. The TH Physical Therapist II also functions as a resource for other allied workers and attends disciplinary team meetings to coordinate goals and treatment plans.
This is a per diem position. This position will be scheduled on Saturdays, and other days as needed. Saturday availability is required.
Duties of a TH Physical Therapist II may include the following but are not limited to:
- Performs admission, annual and status change assessments of assigned residents within designated time frames. Makes clinically sound recommendations and follows up on each item, determining the rehab nursing, restorative, or maintenance needs.
- Evaluates residents prescribed for physical therapy and establishes proper treatment techniques, realistic goals and treatment plans for restorative and maintenance residents. Carries out restorative care and supervises maintenance care performed by PT Assistants.
- Designs nursing rehab protocols for each appropriate resident, instructs nursing in its implementation and supervises the PTA in follow-up instruction.
- Schedules and prepares for resident treatment, considering interventions and appointments carried out by other team members.
- Works closely with the nursing staff, physicians, and all other departments to assure an interdisciplinary approach to resident care. Represents the Physical Therapy Department at interdisciplinary care meetings and addresses any problems associated with rehabilitation and safety. Completes appropriate sections of the MDS+ and comprehensive care plan within designated time frames.
- Completes all necessary reports, inventories, equipment requests, and chart documentation in a timely fashion.
- Acts as clinical instructor for individuals and on-site class visits. Participates in the implementation of educational programs within the facility as directed by the Director of Rehabilitation.
- Participates with other staff members in the Quality Assessment and Improvement Programs.
- Assumes the role of Senior PT in his/her absence.
- Responsible for maintaining physical therapy services in accordance with standards established by the medical staff, the American Physical Therapy Association, and any Federal, State or local standards which may apply.
- Responsible for the daily and periodic inspection and maintenance of all equipment being used within the physical therapy clinic and makes recommendation as necessary to the Director of Rehabilitation.
- Supervises volunteers, PT Aides and PT Assistants under the direction of the Senior PT.
- Participates in designing, implementing and gathering data for approved research in geriatric care.
Working conditions may involve exposure to infectious disease, blood, body fluids and/or tissue as well as other unpleasant elements such as accidents, injuries and illness. May be exposed to and be required to handle varying unpredictable, emergency and crisis situations. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries.
Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Therapy from an accredited school. NYS Licensure/Certification. At least four years’ experience in Physical Therapy in an adult rehab, skilled nursing facility or acute care setting.
Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy. At least two years’ experience in a skilled nursing facility.
The Long Island State Veterans Home is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on our 25-acre campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from the Long Island State Veterans Home Employee Health Department, clear a background investigation; submit three (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s), if applicable. Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The Long Island State Veterans Home, located on the campus of Stony Brook University, is a 350-bed skilled nursing facility with a 40-slot Adult Day Health Care program dedicated to the care of honorably discharged Veterans of the United States Armed Forces, their spouses and widows, as well as Gold Star Parents. Join an organization whose people make a difference every day and where commitment, compassion, initiative, and leadership are recognized and rewarded. We care for America's Heroes every day.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Physical Therapist II
Job Field: Physical Therapy
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Physical Therapy-Long Island State Veterans Home
Schedule: Per Diem Weekend 8:00am - 4:30pm *Saturdays required*Physical Therapy-Long Island State Veterans Home
Posting Start Date: Nov 2, 2018
Posting End Date: Nov 17, 2018, 12:59:00 AM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL3