Advisor I, Perkins Grant
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499.
The Advisor I, Perkins Grant is responsible for the coordination and provision of services to a cohort of students. Communicates with students on a regular basis to track their success and progress. Provides academic, financial aid, career and transfer advising to students. Provides direction and guidance on programs, certificates, and degree plans specific to academic discipline(s). Within the Veterans Program, this position also assists with coordinative support and project functions as needed.
- Advises students in assigned academic discipline(s); Meets with students on a regular basis to track their academic progress and success; Tracks, provides and publishes data on students with declared majors in assigned discipline/division on items including success, retention, and completion rates
- Provides coaching and advising to students on skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans, and provides coaching and advising to students to explore ideas and interests in a respectful, safe environment
- Assists students in developing and updating their MEP (My Educational Plan) through completion; Provides coaching and advising to students to acquire the necessary skills to assume responsibility for working and achieving their educational plans, including how to use advising tools, such as Advising Resources, MyLoneStar, Program Evaluations, etc.
- Provides coaching and advises students on proper course load and sequencing to encourage individual student success; Advises students on proper course selection for credit degree programs, credit and non-credit certificate programs in assigned disciplines/division including course prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended course sequence as well as articulation agreements relating to transfer programs associated with University Center and other colleges and universities
- Provides career advising to students
- Works with faculty and coaches of students to identify needed early interventions
- Provides students with information and proper referrals to available resources and services on campus
- May assist with maintaining compliance of processes and documentation
- Takes part in and/or leads special projects as needed
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking of student success and student educational plans
- Proficiency with common office software
- Ability to prioritize duties
- High level of customer service
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Duration of Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Bachelor's degree and at least 1 year of related work experience
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Previous experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100) , 2700 WW Thorne Dr , Houston , 77073
Job: Academic Affairs
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Nov 3, 2018, 12:01:34 AM