Layer1/Layer2 Network Analyst
Areas of Intereset: Information Technology - Desktop Support
Functional Areas: Office of Information Technology
Department: Office of Information Technology Administration (OIT)
Requisition Number: 14234
Location: Boulder, CO
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 19-Nov-2018
In this role, you'll be part of the Operations unit in OIT and will determine, maintain and expand switching structure including wireless access points, implement new designs of the network infrastructure, and provide operational support for the existing network infrastructure.
Who We Are
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University’s academic, research and service missions. We’re located in the heart of the beautiful CU-Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching our "This is OIT" video.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Troubleshooting and Customer Service
- Review, process, and complete customer Help Desk requests and issues. In many cases this will require onsite customer meetings and testing on site for wired and wireless connectivity.
- Understand a wide array of client devices and applications, as well as the correct communications between the device and the wi-fi services and network jacks and be able to make suggestions for resolution.
- Process requests in a timely manner while maintaining a professional attitude and translating technical information into easy to understand terms.
Network Switch/Wireless Installation and Configuration
- Install and configure campus-wide network switches and wireless network equipment (requires use of a university vehicle).
- Apply knowledge of coding and command lines necessary to access and navigates switches and access point configurations.
- Deploy and test switches and Wi-Fi Access Points (AP), documenting configuration and implementation plans.
- Troubleshoot installation and configuration issues using networking professional standards.
- Determine appropriate switch and AP configurations, physical models and IOS based on network environment.
- Determine appropriate equipment including switches, cabling, wireless mounts, and Access Points for installation when necessary.
Existing Network Component Monitoring, Repair and Upgrade
- Respond to switch and Access Point outages related to operating systems, configuration software, inter-connectivity issues.
- Respond to customer trouble reports related to switch port and Wi-Fi issues involving security, configuration, rouge DHCP, and connectivity issues.
- Use skilled, independent judgment in determining failure source, whether repair can be resolved, and whether device replacement is appropriate solution.
- Troubleshoot layer1/layer 2 network connectivity, O/S, switch, port, AP configurations.
- Collaborate with senior engineer to facilitate department guidelines for troubleshooting-related issues.
What You Should Know
- This position requires availability for shift work and work outside normal business hours, as well as participation in an on-call rotation with definite response times, where the likelihood of the on-call employee having to come on-site to respond to or manage the issue or incident is low.
- This is a one-year appointment. While it may be the case that we are able to extend this appointment to an ongoing position, for the present it is only funded for one year/12 months.
What We Can Offer
Base salary for this position is market-based, highly competitive and commensurate with background and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Engaged. Be Collaborative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. A combination of education and relevant work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the bachelor’s degree.
- One year of professional experience related to the configuration, deployment and testing of network Access Points and client devices.
What You Will Need
- Functional knowledge of Cisco Networking switches, wireless access points and monitoring tools.
- Unrestricted Colorado driver's license.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including good listening skills.
- Ability to build relationships and provide customer service that exceeds customer expectations.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Familiarity with CU Boulder campus buildings.
- Experience developing and working with Excel spreadsheets.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
This position will close on November 19, 2018.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer