Full Professor in Neurobiology and Behavior
Open date: November 2nd, 2018
Next review date: December 12th, 2018
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: December 12th, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications are invited for a position at the level of FULL PROFESSOR. The Department of Neurobiology and Behavior is ranked as one of the top neuroscience departments in the country and engages in interdisciplinary approaches to the study of neurobiology. We seek outstanding candidates whose research addresses neuroimmunology with application to human neurological disease using multiple approaches including model systems. Areas may include neuroinflammatory responses due to viral infection of the CNS, the role of the immune system in demyelinating diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis, or in other neurodegenerative diseases. Applicants should hold a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree and have an international reputation with an impactful, collaborative and well-funded research program. Desire to contribute to both teaching and mentorship at the undergraduate and graduate level and participate in leadership and mentoring at UCI and within their field is required. Please submit by December 15, 2018, curriculum vitae, a description of research and teaching interests, and the names and addresses of three potential referees. A separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion should also be included in the application materials. For application instructions, please go to the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior Professor section at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF05003. Information on the department is available at http://neurobiology.uci.edu.
Criteria for research, teaching and mentorship, and diversity statement are detailed below:
Research Statement (3 pages). This statement should:
- Detail the candidate's specific area of expertise, with a description of their contributions to the field.
- Provide a detailed plan of their future research program, and how this program will be leveraged to obtain extramural funding.
- Indicate how the candidate's research program will synergize with the current research environment within the department of Neurobiology and Behavior, as well as the wider UCI community.
Teaching, Mentoring, and Leadership Statement (1-2 pages). This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate's teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities, including undergraduates, graduate students, and junior faculty.
- Detail the candidate's teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence (if any) of effectiveness of previous teaching.
- Provide details on leadership positions that they have held, and their willingness to take on leadership positions at UCI.
Diversity Statement (1 page). The UC Statement on Diversity is available at: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/4400.html. Applicants will be evaluated on their required statements of their contribution to diversity. This statement should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate's track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Statement of Research
- Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now