Senior Network Engineer - Tufts Technology Services-18001803
Senior Network Engineer - Tufts Technology Services-18001803
Viewing technology in the context of work, scholarship and campus life, TTS is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology services that support Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, and service. Understanding that IT enables innovation, TTS prioritizes holistic, human-centered design strategies to create timely and intuitive services, applications and tools that differentiate the Tufts experience.
Across our diverse and creative teams, we engage and focus our collective talent to strengthen Tufts’ strategic IT capabilities. To keep pace with our community’s emerging needs, we continue to evolve our competencies across four main families of practice, including Planning and Design, Service Delivery and Operations, Data Strategy, and Academic Technology.
Thinking and acting strategically with technology occurs through strong partnerships and an engaged community. Additionally, for technologies to take on integral meaning to our work, we also need reliable and consistent support in using them. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community and to enable the broadest possible access.
Come join our collaborative, flexible work environment, where leadership is valued at all levels of the organization, and opportunities abound to work with leading technologies and learn new.
The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for the operation, support and surveillance of Tufts multi-campus data network. As a key member of the Network Engineering team, this position is actively involved in the operation of a mission critical, highly-resilient network infrastructure, including all wired network switches, core routers, optical network, service provider uplinks, wireless platform, load balancers, firewalls, vpn and security systems and related central network services including DNS/DHCP/IPAM. This position will provide installation, configuration and operational support for these systems as well as capacity planning, change control, inventory control and monitoring functions.
The selected candidate must have strong network systems administration & troubleshooting skills and proficiency with Cisco IOS, and Unix/Linux operating systems. The Senior Network Engineer will provide network consulting and advocacy in TTS affairs and will actively participate in TTS & Tufts community meetings, collaborating with the other staff & TTS colleagues, providing TTS assistance and promoting the use of central services & IT standards. Finally, the successful candidate must possess strong technical and leadership skills and be highly capable of running large projects working with a variety of other TTS staff and disciplines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field with 5+ years’ of experience .
- Solid background in network and infrastructure design experience and demonstrated operations experience with complex routed IP networks, layer two/three switches, advanced routers, firewalls, LAN/WAN networking hardware and protocols.
- Expert level IP data networking knowledge and advanced troubleshooting experience. Current hands-on experience in the configuration management and operation of Cisco switches, routers and wireless networking.
- Working experience with networking technologies and protocols including but not limited to TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Dynamic DNS, OSPF, BGP, MPLS, SIP/VOIP, STP/RST and QOS.
- Proficiency in Unix based computer systems and network management/monitoring applications
- Demonstrated skills in leadership and experience in mentoring staff and training and/or informal knowledge share for others
- Experience in leading projects and project management, working with cross-functional teams to collaboratively complete tasks, manage resources and deliver results within target timelines.
- The ability to share in an on-call rotation and to provide support outside of normal business hours as needed while on-call and for occasional planned maintenance events.
- This position requires that the employee provide their own mobile device capable of sending and receiving business email, text/SMS and phone calls. The employee will receive a standard rate of partial reimbursement for this expense.
- Technical skills including a working knowledge of Cisco & Juniper security products including VPN and firewalls, F5 load balancers, and Cisco Wired & Wireless networking hardware. Network Services/Management (DNS/DHCP, NTP, IP Addressing) and Bluecat IPAM appliance and applications experience. Cisco Next Generation Data Center infrastructure, experience and familiarity with Virtualization technologies and network storage protocols. Working knowledge of Multicast, Optical Networking, Unified Messaging, VOIP, and IP based video conferencing and collaboration applications.
- Knowledge of various network management applications including Cisco Prime, Nagios/Icinga, Cacti, NSM and tools such as Rancid, and Netflow.
- Basic UNIX-based programming and scripting skills affording the ability to create and maintain scripts that automate various network management tasks
- Experience working in the Higher education field.
- Industry standard certification or delegation such as CCNA, RHCE, MCSE, CCNP, CCIE.
- Effective communication skills and experience speaking and presenting in front of small groups.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
This is a salaried position, and the schedule of such exempt employee may vary based on the needs of the department. Typical business hours are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm with requirement for participation in on-call rotation. Hours and shifts may vary throughout the year such that Network Engineering staff can provide on-site, weekday coverage between 7am-6:30pm. Network Engineering provides critical network services 24x7x365 and the successful candidate will be included in on-call rotation which provides coverage for all hours of the year. Typical work day is Seven (7) hours a day, plus one (1) hour break for lunch. Weekend and off-hours work is required on occasion. This position requires some travel between the three Tufts main campuses, SMFA, Datacenters, Co-location and clinic sites. Occasional overnight travel may be necessary to attend vendor training and/or seminars.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Job: IT (Information Technology)
Organization: Tufts Technology Services
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Nov 2, 2018, 3:22:36 PM