University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of
higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior
medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to
attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of
transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our
values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion,
Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment
where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are
one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more
than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The University of Miami is committed to providing sensitive service in compliance to the Family Medical Leave act (“FMLA”) and other leave management requests. In addition, when reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities in furtherance of its commitment to maintain an environment of respect and belonging. The successful candidate for the ADA Accommodations Manager is a person who has experience working with individuals with disabilities; has knowledge and experience with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended (“ADA”), and Rehabilitation Act; medical and disability conditions; and is a certified ADA Coordinator or willing to obtain certification within one (1) year after hire. To be successful in this role, the incumbent must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; organizational/administrative skills and is detail oriented. The successful candidate may have worked as an ADA coordinator, a Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy aid or practitioner, ergonomics specialist, or some other health-oriented role. This position requires the ability to connect with health care practitioners to obtain medical documentation, other University departments as well as community resources to obtain pertinent information to aid in the analysis of an accommodation request. The ability to communicate and direct corrective actions with employees, managers, ergonomics specialists, and other individuals/entities, is critical to this role. A key requirement for this role is to be a self-starter, with the ability to manage conflicting schedules and successfully perform case management duties, including information gathering, documentation, tracking, reporting, and continuously managing accommodation requests from intake to closure in a timely manner. The incumbent will also assist in the development of training and participate in any policy development.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serves as the subject matter expert for the leave management and accommodation programs in alignment and under the general direction and guidance of HR leadership and the legal department.
• Manages STD/LTD programs and vendor relationships. Ensures that STD claims are coordinated with FMLA or general medical cases.
• Monitor and research leave program in the market keeping informed of changes and trends.
• Develop program improvements, partnering with stakeholders to ensure appropriate business process and meeting service standards.
• Interprets and administers leave programs and policies in accordance with the applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA, ADA, USERRA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, etc.).
• Provide instruction, guidance and excellent customer service to employees, managers and human resources colleagues regarding compliance and absences.
• Develop and maintain a web page to communicate the leave management accommodation process and resources for employees and applicants (for ADA).
• Produces and manages reporting metrics and analytics for all leave cases.
• Manages STD/LTD relationship with Benefits. Ensures that STD claims are coordinated with FMLA or general medical cases.
• Assists in the creation and facilitation of leave administration training programs.
• Assist the Director of Workplace Equity and Performance by managing accommodations requests.
• Consult with Human Resources’ Client Services and/or Talent Management and Recruitment teams throughout consideration of requests to ensure proper assistance is provided to employees, applicants and departments.
• Receive, triage, and process requests for accommodation under the ADA through to referral, resolution, or closure.
• Maintain case management protocols to ensure accommodations are properly tracked and recorded.
• Engage the requestor in the interactive process to assess needs and to identify accommodation options.
• Obtaining all necessary employee medical releases and other information related to a request.
• Maintain strict confidentiality of all employee information in accordance with government regulations and the University’s policies and procedures.
• Consult with Risk Management to coordinate ergonomic assessments, as needed.
• Provide disability accommodation assistance to employees for accommodation requests.
• Develop and maintain a directory of accommodation options and available resources both internal and external (i.e., building/classroom accessibility, accessible parking and transportation options, web accessibility, counseling and consultation, etc.).
• Attend and participate at meetings and/or events related to leave management and ADA programs.
• Liaise with other University disability services, as needed.
• Conduct research and draft related policies and procedures pertaining to ADA Accommodations.
• Serve on and make recommendations to the University’s ADA Committee; participate in initiatives developed by the ADA committee.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong background in administering leave management and ADA Accommodations for a large organization, with multiple business units, including academic and clinical units.
• Extensive knowledge of FMLA, ADA, Rehabilitation Act, and related regulations.
• Strong technical and reporting abilities to gather data from multiple sources and then analyze and present this information to identify business unit trends as well as make strategic recommendations.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, Outlook, and Visio).
• Ability to develop rapport, open communication, and a collaborative work environment with employees, applicants and department representatives.
• Ability to maintain the integrity of HR by adhering to strict confidentiality and respect of all employees.
• Discretion in dealing with confidential and often delicate materials and information.
• Demonstrated track record of maintaining a positive, customer service-oriented attitude in a time-sensitive/deadline-driven environment.
• Highly organized/ability to prioritize.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Positive attitude.
• Ability to provide professional support while working with employees and managers.
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Bachelor degree in Human Resources, a health-related science, or related field from an accredited college or university required.
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Five (5) years’ experience managing accommodation requests under the ADA and FMLA.
• Knowledge of the ADA and other related laws addressing persons with disabilities, such as Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, 29 U.S.C. § 794.
• Knowledge of various alternative formats and alternative technologies that enable individuals with disabilities to communicate, participate, and perform tasks.
• Ability to work cooperatively with employees, supervisors, other University departments, and external entities to review and coordinate reasonable accommodations. Apply online at www.miami.edu/careersPosition #: P100029036
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>