CPEP Nurse Navigator
CPEP Nurse Navigator-1803459
Job Summary: The CPEP Navigator assists the team in directing and supervising patient flow and the delivery of care throughout the Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program. Acts as a patient advocate so that the patient’s care progresses. Identifies gaps in care and supports the patient from the time of arrival to discharge. Facilitates program development and quality improvement. This position has the authority to address and remove any barriers to throughput utilizing hospital and medical staff resources to accomplish this.
The purpose of the CPEP Navigator role is to optimize patient throughput and increase utilization of SBUH resources to support health management and prevent unnecessary visits to the ED. CPEP navigators are bridges between attending physicians, providers, nurses, our healthcare system standards and the patient’s care in the CPEP. They help navigate patients through the continuum of care. The CPEP Navigator will serve as a role model for teamwork, leadership and professionalism in the Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program.
Duties of a CPEP Nurse Navigator may include the following but are not limited to:
- Coordinates a seamless model of access and care benefitting patients, family members, participating providers throughout the system, and the greater community.
- Identify and eliminate barriers to care -streamlines the timing and the movement of patients through CPEP and the services within the program
- Help accelerate evaluations of new and existing patients in CPEP
- Provide clinical leadership to nursing, medical and allied health staff to enhance patient journeys through the CPEP -Pro-actively develop and maintain collaborative relationships as well as guide and support staff in delivering appropriate patient care and service delivery
- Coordinates the timely scheduling of tests, procedures, appointments, treatments, and completion of legal documents
- Utilizes a collaborative, interdisciplinary approach to maximize utilization of resources and minimize duplication of services
- Facilitates specific interdisciplinary care planning meetings as appropriate
- Reinforce patient education and direct patients and families to available resources and supportive services
- Help facilitate timely disposition decisions and coordination of services across the continuum from triage through discharge to home or other community –based facilities
- Identify areas of crisis and respond appropriately
- Assists with relationship building and marketing strategies to help promote and expand the program
- Maintain standardized patient education tools and formulate new standards and policies to improve patient navigation
- Plan, develop and implement patient-centered programs
- Participate in continuous program development and quality improvements
- Collects data, documents, and provides reports to CPEP, department, and hospital leadership on a quarterly basis to include: identified health disparities, description of navigation proves, populations served and barriers identified, documentation of activities and metrics (outcomes), and areas of PI/QI enhancement and future directions
- Complete all administrative functions associated with navigator activities -Perform other duties as assigned
- Actively seeks and participates in educational opportunities, both formal and informal, to achieve and maintain knowledge and skill related to job responsibilities
This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole.
Required: NYS RN license, acute care inpatient nursing experience, minimum 3 years experience in psychiatric emergency nursing
Preferred: Bachelors degree in nursing, case management experience.
Professional Affiliations: APNA
Certification: National certification in specialty preferred
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING(631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Senior Instructional Support Specialist
Job Field: Nursing
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Psychiatry - CPEP-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Variable VariesPsychiatry - CPEP-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Nov 1, 2018
Posting End Date: Dec 2, 2018, 12:59:00 AM
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Salary Grade: SL4