Consultant, Small Business Development Center
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Kingwood-EMCID Offsite Center
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
The LSC-Kingwood offsite center located at the East Montgomery County Improvement District (EMCID) Complex is a beautiful state-of-the-art facility. The 5,028 square foot site has two computer labs and two classrooms. Credit and Continuing Education classes are held at this site Monday through Friday from 8:00AM-9:00PM.
Campus address is 21575 Highway 59N in New Caney, Texas 77357.
The Consultant, Small Business Development Center provides consulting services and develops educational workshops and seminars for business owners. Researches and analyzes business needs and advises small business owners in areas of marketing, finance, operations and business planning. The position impacts the economic development of the Lone Star College (LSC) region by assisting companies to get started, expand and diversify through accessing capital, creating jobs, and growing businesses.
- Provide in-depth, one-on-one consulting services while maintaining a confidential relationship with clients (includes travel to local-area, off-site locations on a regular basis)
- Conducts situational analysis of small businesses and develops scopes of work for clients. Assists with start-up issues and works with them to develop business plans, marketing plans, financial packages, and counsels on hiring issues, business structures and other issues related to starting a business
- Conducts market research and feasibility studies
- Assists established business owners in effectively managing and operating their businesses by addressing sales and marketing opportunities, staffing, growth and development, cash management, business planning, customer service, and day-to-day business operations matters, counseling as necessary on other issues related to growing a successful business
- Assist clients with analysis of financial information, including but not limited to preparation of financial reports, projections, loan applications and related matters to ensure completeness
- Counsels clients applying for SBA and conventional business loans, including responding to applicant questions about the process and the application itself
- Prepares professional correspondence and maintains accurate, complete and up-to-date client files
- Prepares accurate and complete monthly reports within stated deadlines
- Maintain contact with clients and conduct follow-up telephone calls and meetings to enhance customer satisfaction and service delivery. Develops effective schedule of visits with partners and prospective community partners
- Regularly review and analyze SBDC goals and outcomes and maintain accountability for achieving assigned key performance indicators and metrics set by contractual funder and allocated by the center supervisor
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to work some non-traditional hours as needed, which may include some evenings, weekends and holidays
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite and other commonly used business software
- Strong quantitative and statistical skills, and analytical skills sufficient to develop plans from statistical reports
- Good organizational skills
- Strong multi-tasking abilities in a fast-paced environment with the ability to meet schedules, deadlines and timelines
- Knowledge of core business competencies for small business owners
- Knowledge of a broad range of issues affecting small businesses which may include, but not be limited to: marketing, sales, hiring and employment, technology, business structures, business management and financials
- Ability to work one-on-one with business owners, engage in active listening, and respond appropriately to questions
- Ability to collect, review, and analyze information to make recommendations to business owners
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with persons from diverse, cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work confidently and with discretion
- High level of energy and self-motivation
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Bachelor's degree and at least 3 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior consulting experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-New Carney
Work Locations: 21575 Hwy 59N (0202) , 21575 Hwy 59N , New Caney , 77357
Job: Academic Affairs
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Nov 1, 2018, 11:03:16 PM