Student Services Assistant
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over 12,400 undergraduate and 1,800 graduate students. UCCS is among the fastest growing universities in the state and is consistently ranked as one of the top Western regional universities by U.S. News & World Report. Colorado Springs, (pop. 400K+) is situated at the base of Pikes Peak, offers many recreational and cultural activities and was recently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top Best Places to Live in the U.S.
Nature of Work
This position will provide direct administrative, operational, and program support to both Disability Services and University Testing Center. This individual will staff the reception area and serve as the first point of contact for both offices. The position will be a key part of the intake process for students with disabilities.
The individual is expected to work closely with office staff to access the needs of any student and to resolve conflicts between students and other representatives of the campus, specifically with faculty and staff. This office team member is responsible for the implementation of disability related testing accommodations as well as UCCS make up exams in the testing center. This position will document all reported issues and safety concerns, as well as maintain all records.
Key Collaborations and Relationships:
This is a dual report position supporting two offices in a co-located space. As the first point of contact for both offices, this individual must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse campus community. The position will interact regularly with all staff Disability Services as well as faculty, prospective students and their parents, and many campus support offices.
Examples of Work Performed
- Serve as a primary point of contact for reporting student distress or discrimination or harassment concerns and documenting all reports in appropriate databases.
- Provide appropriate assistance or referrals for student complaints and concerns, and answer procedural and general information inquiries from the campus community.
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates student employee staff; also responsible for student employee time collection and approval
- Assists students in gathering needed documentation to complete the eligibility review process.
- Collaborates with a diverse population including students, faculty and staff
- Educates and enforces the policies of the University Testing Center
- Assists with the arrangement of disability testing accommodations for authorized students
- Facilitate the inquiries of prospective students, current students, parents, and university employees regarding the availability and application process to obtain accommodations at UCCS
- Demonstrates knowledge, skill and leadership in the areas of organization, planning, teamwork and customer service
- Support the office staff in production of all office programs for students with disabilities
- Schedule appointments for testing, intakes and follow up meetings with students and DS staff members
- Manage front office reception area
- Manage office email accounts
- Inputs and verifies student data into enrollment management system, CU-SIS
- Uploading documents into content management, deal with issues properly and work with campus personnel to determine and repair issues
- Compiles statistical data for Disability Services & University Testing Center for monthly reporting for Vice Chancellor
- Assists the Assistant Director with projects when appropriate
- Maintains test integrity of University Testing Center exams by securing test materials
- Manages all examination materials and passwords
- Communicates with professors and approved testing accommodations regarding testing requests and regulations
- Ensures that exams are received and administered in the correct format on the exam date, including arranging for alternate format or assistive technology.
- Ensures that students follow the UCCS Honor Code and lead problem-solving efforts if a problem arises during an exam.
- Oversees the required record keeping process and ensures exams are returned as requested by faculty.
- Takes the lead in providing accurate and sufficiently detailed information to faculty when irregularities occur.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, multi-task, and coordinate numerous detailed programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work positively as a part of a team, often during time critical situations.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fluid environment, with frequent interruptions, and provide timely response to meet the needs of the campus community.
- Ability to respond effectively to requests for advocacy, inquiries, or complaints.
- Strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with and for diverse, populations.
- Exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new software.
- Demonstrate cultural competency.
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Salary Range: $38,000 - $42,000
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor's Degree, or in lieu of Bachelor's Degree 4+ years professional administrative experience.
- 1 year professional or para-professional (ie. graduate assistant) experience in higher education, or customer service, or administrative support.
- Experience in Higher Education at a professional level.
- Experience implementing or utilizing appointment scheduling software.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by November 15, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Job Category: Student Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40140 - VCSS Disability Services
Posting Date: Nov 1, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ryan Achor
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00747263