At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Physical Therapist is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Physical Therapist in the Center may include the following but are not limited to:
Brief Description of Duties:
• Plans and provides the physical therapy treatment programs for each inpatient and outpatient including the evaluation, treatment or prevention of disability, injury, disease or other condition of health using physical, chemical and mechanical means including, but not limited to heat, cold, air, water, sound, electricity, massage, mobilization, and therapeutic exercise with or without assistive devices, and the performance and interpretation of tests and measurements to assess pathophysiological, pathomechanical, and developmental deficits of human systems to determine treatment, and assist in diagnosis and prognosis.
• Coordinates physical therapy programs with other health care personnel i.e. occupational therapy, Nursing etc.
• Directs and aids patients in gait training, isokinetic exercise, posture training, therapeutic exercise, joint protection, desensitization, edema control, muscle sensory reduction and home program.
• Constructs and/or supplies splinting, adaptive and exercise equipment.
• Directs and trains patients in the care and use of assistive devices, prosthetic and orthotic devices including wheelchairs, canes and crutches. Gives instruction in postural control and therapeutic procedures such as neurodevelopment techniques to be continued by the patient and/or parents. Adapts conventional physiotherapeutic techniques to meet the needs of patients unable to comprehend.
• Evaluates, records and reports patient's progress for other members of the Rehabilitation team.
• Participates in patient care evaluation studies and in quality improvement studies.
• Required to work at the hospital as the need arises.
• All other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: NYS license as Physical Therapist or eligible. Incumbent will be required to rotate working weekend days and holidays at the hospital as well as during the week if the need arises.
Preferred Qualifications: Two plus years PT experience in acute care setting Pediatric experience and Pelvic Floor experience preferred.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Physical Therapist III
Job Field: Physical Therapy
Primary Location: US-NY-East Setauket
Department/Hiring Area: Physical Therapy-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift M,W,F 11:30am-7:30pm T,TH 8am-4pmPhysical Therapy-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Sep 28, 2018
Posting End Date: Oct 28, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL2