Reference & Instruction Librarian
Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is one of 28 institutions within the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Serving nearly 13,000 students, GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 920,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology.
Reference & Instruction Librarian
Library - 6010110
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Teaching Philosophy, Unofficial Transcript 1, Unofficial Transcript 2
The Reference & Instruction Librarian has principal responsibilities in providing research assistance and instruction to students, faculty and staff at the Georgia Gwinnett College Kaufman Library. This position also assists with collection development and serves as a point of contact to designated academic or other college areas. The Reference & Instruction Librarian reports to the Head of Research Services.
- Provide research assistance to students, faculty, and staff at Georgia Gwinnett College's Kaufman Library
- Regularly teach library instruction sessions for the development of information literacy skills
- Investigate and implement emerging and current instructional practices, methodologies, and technologies, contributing to the development of effective course-integrated and stand-alone information literacy instruction
- Create and maintain modules, materials, activities, and tutorials on the use of research resources
- Partner with faculty to integrate information literacy competencies into course curricula
- Participate in library and college committees and events
- Teach credit-bearing information literacy courses
- Contribute to collection development by suggesting new resources and identifying material for weeding
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- ALA Accredited master's degree
- Evidence of information literacy instruction or other teaching experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic reference resources and library procedures
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Evidence of strong public service orientation with commitment to the library's research and instructional role
- Evidence of excellent organizational skills
- Evidence of excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Minimum two years of experience in academic libraries
- Demonstrated experience in developing curricula, student learning outcomes, and assessment
- Demonstrated knowledge of information literacy instruction theory, practice, and management
- Evidence of experience in instructional design and technology
- Evidence of experience with course management and related software
- Evidence of contribution to professional scholarship
- Instructional design experience and/or degree
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Position may require non-standard work hours (nights and weekends).