Postdoctoral Research Associate, Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation
Job ID: 2019188
Location: Avery Point Campus
The University of Connecticut (UConn) seeks applicants for the position of Post-Doctoral Research Associate in the Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation (CIRCA) to provide support for activities associated with the development of the Connecticut Connections Coastal Resilience Plan. CIRCA is a multidisciplinary center that coordinates applied research and engagement programs to develop and advance practical solutions to problems caused by changing climate (http://circa.uconn.edu/).
The Post-Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA) will work in a team developing science that supports a four-year project to develop a prototype resilience framework for Connecticut. The PDRA will gain experience working in a research team environment at CIRCA and have opportunities for professional development. With the supervision of the Executive Director, the PDRA will work on the development, testing and application of numerical models of circulation in complicated coastal areas to determine levels and patterns of flood risk. Assessment of the effectiveness of proposed risk reduction strategies will also be required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, test and execute simulations of wave impacts and flooding in coastal areas.
- Participate in field work/observation campaigns.
- Critically analyze results and prepare reports and publications.
- Prepare journal articles.
- Participate in workshops and meetings for municipalities and regional councils of government on climate resilience and adaptation.
- Participate in capacity-building studies and engagement programs, including climate science communication, and training in design and engineering.
- May be responsible for miscellaneous administrative duties as assigned.
- May participate in the planning, development and implementation of grant proposals.
- Ph.D. in Physical oceanography, Coastal Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Experience with the FVCOM or related models and tools.
- Experience with modern, community models of coastal circulation and wave dynamics.
- Experience with computing technology (e.g. Matlab, FORTRAN) and data management.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work effectively with a team of collaborators.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and region, conduct oceanographic field work, and participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Available to start work at Avery Point, Groton CT within one month of offer.
- A record of peer reviewed publications.
- Experience in proposal preparations.
This is a full-time, annually renewable position. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience.
Please apply online at UConn Careers, (www.jobs.uconn.edu), Staff Positions (Search # 2019188). Please submit a letter of application, resume, a short sample of writing, and the names and contact information of three professional references. It is preferred that applications are received by November 30, 2018.
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2019188)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on November 30, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.