Student Financial Aid Advisor
Department: Student Financial Aid
Location: Western Campus
Reports To: Director
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req754
Employment Type: Full-Time Support Staff
Vacancy Number: 127-19
Union Position: Union
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:30-5:00pm. Evenings and weekends may be required.
Number of Openings: 1
The Student Financial Aid Analyst provides financial aid advising and analysis to students/families related to academic program interest, program completion, and financial circumstances. Administers high-level of training and assessment of financial aid knowledge and support to the Enrollment Center team members. Ensures an integrated student services enrollment model to support student success within academic and financial decision-advising with emphasis on effective and efficient consumer education.
- Analyzes student financial aid applications for completeness and accuracy, collects required documentation to meet federal and institutional requirements while using electronic tools to notify students of individual requirements and the completion of student eligibility requirements.
- Evaluates all incoming documents for processing into the Banner system; composes and distributes routine letters; and responds to inquires.
- Prepares federally mandated verification, including required analyses. Corrects student data of parent, student tax returns and other verification documents. Uses electronic tools to recalculate eligibility in compliance with federal regulations. Interprets federal regulations for the approval of special requests.
- Interprets and applies federal, state, and institutional regulations to aid in making accurate decisions.
- Communicates with current/prospective students and other college units on student eligibility for financial aid programs
- Conducts workshops offering educational financial advising to students experiencing unusual circumstances including, problems in application processing, changes in financial circumstances, inadequate financial aid resources and alternative optional funding ; satisfactory academic progress appeals; financial literacy education; presents referrals to appropriate campus and community agencies for assistance addressing personal, academic or financial matters
- Coordinates with other institutions and outside agencies in the determination of financial aid eligibility for students participating in dual enrollment programs or receiving funding from external sources.
- Determines eligibility status for a variety of federal and state financial aid programs; creates awards for each program based on student eligibility, availability of funds and institutional award policies; positions students in Federal Work Study assignments and monitors earnings; performs direct lending calculations and eligibility determinations based on loan history; advises students on scholarship opportunities; processes and awards internal and external scholarships.
- Utilizes automated systems by tracking student academic progress, notifying students of changes in eligibility and addressing actions for student appeals; Advises students on holistic consequences of financial aid, academic progress and financial literacy education.
- Trains, mentors, and evaluates the work performance and learning development for enrollment center representatives.
- Maintains electronic data and student records in relation to financial aid eligibility to ensure accuracy and confirms that inter-related electronic processes execute correctly.
- Contributes in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that ensures consistency and equity in the delivery of financial aid programs.
- Participates as a member in college-wide planning activities which include the development of federally mandated consumer information materials and the design of procedures that support the work of the team and the student application process.
- Interprets degree requirements and college policies and procedures with students to aid in the attainment of individual student education goals. Supports the student need of academic progression and acceleration in obtaining a degree, based on financial circumstances.
- Evaluates complex financial aid circumstances and explains implications to students
- May serve as Acting in Charge, in the absence of the Director
- Participates on college-wide activities that promote student recruitment, retention, matriculation and persistence.
- Supervises student assistants and interns.
- Performs other related duties within the job grade and job classification as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree
- Three years of professional financial aid experience
- Knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations related to establishing student eligibility, financial aid awarding, disbursing of financial aid funds, and monitoring federal and state student financial aid programs.
- Proficient with an automated database system (i.e. BANNER)
- Basic skills in keyboarding, math, and grammar, word processing (MS Word) and spreadsheet applications (MS Excel)
- Excellent organization, customer service, problem solving, decision making and conflict resolution skills Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Prioritize several tasks/assignments to meet department deadlines Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Ability to be a reasonable, fair and equitable decision-maker Embodies a high level of integrity and maintains confidentiality Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
- Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Financial Literacy/Education Certification
- Knowledge of federal IRS rules that deal with individual taxpayer returns Experience working with automated financial aid systems
Special Note:This is a full-time, SEIU 1199 Bargaining Unit Position, salary grade 09. Full time (1199/SEIU) bargaining unit employees at Cuyahoga Community College will be considered first for vacant positions.
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.