Assistant Professor - Graphic Design
Job Start Date: August 18, 2019
Job Type: Full Time Tenure-Track
Job Status: Permanent
Search Type: Global Search
The College of New Jersey invites applications for a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Graphic & Interactive Design in the Department of Art and Art History. Date of appointment: August 18, 2019.
THE COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY
The College of New Jersey is a highly selective public institution that has earned national recognition for its commitment to excellence. TCNJ emphasizes the undergraduate residential experience and offers targeted graduate programs. The College's seven schools - The Arts and Communication; Business; Humanities and Social Sciences; Education; Science; Nursing, Health and Exercise Science; and Engineering - offer degrees to nearly 7,000 students. With a 13 to 1 student to faculty ratio, TCNJ seeks to enroll approximately 1,375 entering, full-time freshmen each fall, 95 percent of whom live on campus.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN GRAPHIC & INTERACTIVE DESIGN
The Department of Art and Art History is seeking an inspiring, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic designer to join TCNJ's Graphic Design program. The Graphic Design program is research-based and interdisciplinary in nature, and draws from a strong liberal arts-based comprehensive curriculum. The successful candidate will have a MFA or Ph.D. degree, college-level teaching experience in the area of graphic design (preferably beyond a graduate TA), an active professional practice and/or exhibition record, and strong communication skills. The position requires a flexible designer with the ability to teach both lower and upper-level design classes across the curriculum in both print and digital environments. The ideal candidate will have experience with collaborative design practice, and digital and emerging fields in design. This position carries a 2-2 teaching load, with responsibilities including teaching, research, and service. The successful candidate is expected to work collaboratively with colleagues and help shape the Graphic Design program in response to ongoing industry changes which may include overseeing internships, design studio center, and other relevant duties related to the program. Knowledge of web design, motion graphics, and other digital platforms is considered an asset.
- MFA or Ph.D. in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Visual Communication Design or related field from an accredited institution completed by the date of appointment.
- Proven record as an excellent teacher in the area of graphic design at the college level. Preference will be given to applicants who have a minimum of two years teaching experience beyond the graduate assistant level.
- Active professional practice and/or exhibition record commensurate with a highly competitive comprehensive college.
- Expertise in relevant graphic software applications which may include Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, iOS, client, CSS, HTML, bootstrap/foundations and/or application of jquery.
- Solid foundation in digital media and print design as it relates to contemporary visual communication and critical theory.
- Excellent organizational, communication, administrative and leadership skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate.
APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION
Applicants should follow a two-step process.
Step One: Please apply for the position via this webpage with a cover letter and CV.
Step Two: Please submit a letter of intent that explains how you meet the qualifications, CV, statement of teaching philosophy, the names and contact information of 3 references, 20 examples of your own creative work, and 20 examples of your students' work to SlideRoom. https://tcnj.slideroom.com/#/login/program/45849
Preference will be given to applications submitted by January 24, 2019. Per state requirements, only completed applications can be considered. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Please direct further inquiries to the Graphic Design Search Committee Chair at
To enrich education through diversity The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.