Greenhouse Manager (Part-time)
Greenhouse Manager (Part-time)
This position is part-time, working 15 hours a week.
Performs all aspects of greenhouse operations including preparation of substrates, planting, growing, watering, fertilizing, spraying, and testing; have understanding of plant growth requirements, soil science, nutrient management in substrate, integrated pest management; have knowledge of greenhouse/plant hazards and safety precautions.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Monitor/control computerized greenhouse environments.
2. Manages greenhouse plant health inspection and pest/disease management using a variety of integrated pest management protocols.
3. Oversees soil/media preparation for greenhouse (including soil sterilization).
4. Develop and implement species-specific fertilization and watering programs.
5. Interact/communicate with faculty, students, and visitors.
6. Lead, train, guide and manage student workers.
7. Manages the greenhouse facility and its equipment; coordinates maintenance and repairs with appropriate parties.
8. Assist with preparation of written protocols for greenhouse operations.
9. Maintains a clean and orderly greenhouse at all times, including insect, disease, and weed control.
10. Performs others duties as assigned by greenhouse director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Must have experience working with plants;
· Specific knowledge of nutrients and plant science;
· Knowledge of the principle and practices of greenhouse management;
· Ability to calculate and/or determine weights, measurements, and quantities;
· Demonstrate basic computer skills - Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook;
· Must have or acquire within 30 days of hire a Private-Restrictive-Use Pesticide License; the license must be maintained throughout the period of employment.
· Demonstrate excellent organizational, verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
Minimum of 2 years of experience, or equivalent education. Horticultural or Greenhouse Management degree is an advantage, but not required. Must be willing to work flexible hours.
Bachelor's degree in greenhouse management, plant sciences, or related discipline.
Position requires frequent walking, standing, pushing/pulling, bending and occasional carrying and lifting (up to 50 lbs.).
Ability to perform duties in high temperatures/humidity of the greenhouse environment.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected]