Research and Project Specialist
The Sustainability Institute at the College of New Jersey seeks a creative and motivated person to join our team working on a portfolio of emerging energy and sustainable development issues. Among a varied portfolio of duties, the position will require proficiency with manipulating and analyzing data. Candidates should be able to work effectively in a fast-paced and creative team environment and also complete research and data analysis projects with minimal supervision.
The Sustainability Institute delivers a market leading program, Sustainable Jersey, which is a national model for engaging municipal governments and schools in initiatives that improve the long term sustainability of their communities and contribute to a sustainable State and world. Over 750 municipalities and school districts participate in the program resulting in the implementation of thousands of local suitability initiatives annually.
The Research and Project Specialist will work with a team to research and develop new sustainability programs and policies that can be implemented by local government. The position will work on a diverse portfolio of issues with a particular focus in the area of energy; energy efficiency in buildings, alternative fuel vehicles and transportation, renewable energy, and GHG emissions tracking. Other issue areas may include land use, water, waste management, public health, economic development, or any critical sustainability issue.
Working with a team that includes the Executive Director and Energy Program Manager, the position will conduct applied research to identify opportunities to make positive change at the local level that are impactful and achievable, and assess the impact of previous local actions. The team produces case studies, guidance documents, toolkits, and research reports that are shared with participating local governments. The team also provides direct technical assistance and grants to support local action.
A significant element of the work will be building, analyzing, and presenting data sets to support research into new best practices and assess the effectiveness of existing programs.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree. Focus in environmental studies, planning, public policy, business, public administration, statistics and data, or engineering is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to communicate in presentations, reports, and data visualization.
- Proficiency in utilizing data management and analysis software such as Microsoft Excel and Access.
- Ability to perform basic statistical analysis such as correlation.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to organize meetings, manage contact networks, and work independently.
- Ability to learn quickly and work well in a fast-paced team environment.
- Familiarity with the subject matter including sustainability, government, and public policy.
- Ability to conduct public policy research.
- Basic competency with GIS software is preferred. Competency with basic statistics, and familiarity with SPSS, STATA, or SAS or other data analytics, is a plus but not required.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to work on schedule within deadline, and to provide necessary support for program reporting and deliverables.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Two years of experience in public policy research, project management, public administration, business development, non-profit program work, or other relevant work preferred.
The College of New Jersey, a highly selective, comprehensive residential institution, is recognized as one of the outstanding colleges in the country. Its 289 acre tree-lined campus, located in suburban Ewing Township between New York and Philadelphia, draws upon the rich scholarly, scientific and cultural resources of the region. There are approximately 6,500 full time undergraduate students and 900 graduate students enrolled at The College.
To enrich education through diversity; The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.