Assistant Professor in Radiology Medical Physics
Job ID: 15183
Position # 00001890
The Department of Radiology has a faculty opening for a Diagnostic Medical Physicist to join a highly collaborative Physics section. Responsibilities will include a combination of clinical diagnostic medical physics, research and teaching of residents, technologists and technology students. Academic rank is commensurate with training and experience. The department is equipped with three CT Scanners (256 and 128), three MRI scanners (Two 3 Tesla and one 1.5 Tesla), Ultrasound, PET/CT, Nuclear Medicine and R&F equipment. Successful applicant would assist MRI Scientist with support of MRI services.
Duties as a clinical diagnostic medical physicist would typically include:
- Medical physics support of all imaging equipment, to include: oversight of quality control, participation in equipment selection, development of purchase specifications, acceptance tests and assisting in the resolution of equipment problems, collaboration with equipment vendors. Design and evaluation of X-ray shielding .
- Monitoring of patient radiation doses and estimation of specific organ doses for diagnostic examinations; Optimization of imaging procedures, e.g., CT protocols, radiographic/fluoroscopic techniques, efficient utilization of imaging equipment; Determination of specific patient and organ doses, e.g., fetal dose for a specific patient.
- Active involvement in the ACR accreditation programs for imaging equipment. Perform mammography surveys required by FDA/MQSA. Performance evaluations of all imaging equipment for compliance with The Joint Commission standards and State regulations.
- Participation in the institutional radiation safety committee and other committees as appropriate. Assist in maintaining an environment of safety following as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) principles.
- Participate in research appropriate to the practice of medical physics in an academic radiology department.
- Participate in radiological physics instruction of diagnostic radiology residents, technologists and technology students.
Candidates must be American Board of Radiology Certified in Diagnostic Medical Physics. The qualified candidate must have a minimum of a Ph.D. degree in Medical Physics or a related discipline and be credentialed to perform annual mammography surveys as required by FDA/MQSA. Three years of experience as a clinical diagnostic medical physicist is desirable.
How To Apply
To be considered an applicant for this position your must apply online at http://www.augusta.edu/hr/jobs/faculty.
Please upload your Curriculum Vitae, Research Statement, Professional References, etc., as one document.
Conditions of Employment
All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review. For specific positions, the final candidate may be subject to a (pre-employment) physical, drug screen, and/or credit check.
The final candidate will be required to provide proof of completed academic degree in the form of an original transcript. Those candidates trained by a foreign institution will also be required to provide an educational/credential evaluation.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Augusta University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.