Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies
Reports to: Provost
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies provides vision, leadership and pedagogical support for the College’s teaching and learning environments with a focus on integrating technology into the learning experience. The core responsibilities of this position are to design, develop, and evaluate a 21st century learning experience; ensure that projects are aligned with multiple areas of the College to maintain alignment with college goals; cultivate strong relationships with the faculty and staff of the College; and champion new initiatives. The Director will identify project goals, prioritize tasks and coordinate implementation. The Director will participate in related planning activities, budgeting, staffing and policy decisions as part of the Provost’s leadership team. This position reports directly to the Provost, is a member of Administrative Council and has supervisory responsibilities for the Campus Audio Visual Technician position and student workers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist the William Jewell College community in advancing the design, development and evaluation of the 21st Century learning experience in the following ways:
Technology Professional Development
- Engage faculty and staff in conversations to realize their instructional, educational, and work related technology needs including equipment, software and classroom training
- Understand how faculty use equipment and software for teaching and learning
- Provide assistance to determine needed specialized equipment and software for instructional needs
- Coordinate and provide training opportunities for faculty on teaching and learning technologies
- Supervise Campus AV Technician
- Provide efficient methods for faculty and staff to request prompt assistance. These methods include campus workorder system, online appointment booking, email and phone
- Participate in professional development to stay up to date on emerging trends in higher education
Jewellverse iPad initiative
- Jewellverse Strategic Planning Team participant
- Work with Information Technology (IT), Student Life, Business Office, Registrar and Administration to ensure Jewellverse policies provide necessary oversight of the College’s investment
- Work with IT , Student Life, Business Office and Registrar to ensure efficient deployment to qualified students, faculty, staff, administration o Maintain up-to-date list of non-registered students and applying or removing technology holds on student records
- Coordinate billing of non-returned iPads with Business Office
- Coordinate Jewellverse professional development for all segments of the College community
- Administration of eHub to ensure quality assistance using technology
- Act as campus liaison with Apple representatives
Learning Technologies Administrator
- Research new ways to incorporate instructional technologies into pedagogy
- Maintain awareness of emerging instructional to recommend as appropriate
- Provide instruction on basic use learning technologies such as Moodle, Turnitin and other learning technologies incorporated into the teaching and learning experience
- Troubleshoot learning technology problems
- Work with IT to keep Moodle operations running at optimal level
- Inform necessary parties of changes or upgrades to existing learning technologies and provide training as needed
Learning Space Management
- Act as liaison between faculty and administration to communicate emerging classroom needs and promote needed changes
- Work with administration to define budgetary needs to make us a 21st century learning institution
- Propose design changes to existing classrooms to create a better learner-centered environment
- Coordinate work between departments on campus to ensure work pertaining to learning environments is completed in most efficient manner
- Maintain open communication between faculty, staff and administration concerning learning environments
- Work with registrar’s office to ensure faculty are provided the learning space necessary to accommodate their teaching style
- Oversee and support Pryor Learning Commons (PLC) Innovation and Creativity Studios to provide positive learning experiences Coordinate William Jewell Online program
- Create and administer online faculty development course for new online faculty and continuing professional development for existing online faculty
- Provide course and instructional design assistance to online faculty
- Apply quality course design rubrics to online courses before launch
- Monitor efficiency of online courses by applying instructional design rubrics
- Communicate needed course and instructional design changes with online faculty to ensure quality online courses
- Provide on-campus assistance to online faculty and students as needed
Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
- • Master’s Degree in Curriculum Design, Professional Development, Online Education, Education, or a related field
- • The position requires at least five years’ experience in teaching and learning technologies.
- • Experience as an instructional faculty member in higher education, including online instruction
- • Documented evidence of technological expertise in an educational setting, or a combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position
- • Experience designing online and hybrid curriculum
- • Experience administering complex projects and monitoring budgets
- • Ability to work effectively with professionals in an academic setting
- • Must have knowledge of and be able to assist faculty in discovery of new formative and summative assessment strategies applicable in both face-to-face and online learning environment.
- • Must be knowledgeable of current trends in 21st century learning environment.
- • Must be highly proficient in integrating instructional technologies into formal and informal learning environments.
- • Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to effectively communicate challenging technological information to individuals with a variety of technology experience and educational backgrounds.
- • Must possess strong collaboration, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- • Prefer experience with Apple products including hardware and software.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents via email to [email protected]:
- • Letter of application
- • Resume
- • William Jewell College application
- • Response to the College Mission Statement
- • Statement of teaching philosophy, including approach to professional development
- • Salary Requirements
The application can also be found on our website at http://www.jewell.edu/jobs.
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.
All final candidates must successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: We educate our community to ask reflective questions, apply critical thought, and act with purpose.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Apply for Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly