Academic Advisor, School of Education
Academic Advisor, School of Education – Requisition # 18000001NW
This position will provide centralized advising for School of Education students. Responsibilities include:
- Counseling students in understanding their degree requirements to assist with their curriculum and help them graduate in a timely manner.
- Assisting current, new, transfer and prospective students with course selection. Responsible for coordinating orientations for incoming students.
- Monitoring the overall current impact, new curriculum, schedules, policies and procedures have on students’ progression within their program of study and work with the department head to correct or improve any required course of action.
- Serve on relevant department and university committees and collaborate with TEP Coordinator on curriculum-related advising updates.
- Assessing individual student needs and make appropriate referrals to other campus services and resources as needed; and aid students in establishing realistic and attainable academic goals.
- Assisting faculty advisors in the department through training on advising procedures and the use of advising related software (e.g. Campus, Degree Works, INB)
- Assisting in marketing and recruitment as well as maintaining the School of Education website.
- Collection, entry, and organization of assessment and retention tracking data and coordinating this data with the department head in written reports for accreditation purposes.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in a related area preferred. Must have experience in a higher education or PreK-12 setting; experience in some field of advising/student relations is required with priority given to those with professional academic advising. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; attention to detail and ability to work independently; problem solving ability; Proficiency with website editing software preferred. Ability to work effectively with students and faculty of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels. Ability to understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements. Required proficiency in Microsoft Office and at least one type of data management software (Excel, Access, and/or SPSS). Proficiency in Argos, INB, and DegreeWorks preferred. Ability to travel for recruitment events is required.
Applications must be sent electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000001NW
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.