Manager of Compensation and Benefits
Manager of Compensation and Benefits, Office of Human Resources – Requisition # 18000001NR
This position oversees, manages and coordinates compensation and benefits activities for the UTC Office of Human Resources (HR) which includes payroll, employee benefits, workers’ compensation, leave of absences, position description reviews for classification/reclassification requests, market salary studies and other compensation and benefits related functions. This position serves as a member of the HR leadership team and reports to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources within the Division of Finance and Administration. Responsibilities include:
• Supervises the payroll function and campus payroll specialist for UTC, providing approval for payroll correction requests, interpretation of policy for appropriate application, etc.
• Provides consultation to campus regarding payroll policies and procedures, specifically related to time keeping, compliance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, etc.
• Collaborates with UT System payroll personnel to ensure campus adherence to payroll policies and procedures.
• Provides direction and leadership to all stakeholders in the implementation of compensation programs and strategies based on research and analysis of competitive compensation practices.
• Ensures compensation programs enhance UTC's ability to recruit and retain talent.
• Participates in compensation surveys and conducts local, regional, or national compensation equity reviews to provide consultation to campus leadership and hiring managers.
• Ensures compensation programs and practices are in compliance with university policies, as well as state and federal regulations.
• Serves as point of contact for all staff employee position description reviews, including position analyses for classification/reclassification purposes and identifying appropriate salary ranges based on review of internal and external equity factors.
• Collaborates with HR leadership to conduct annual campus-wide compensation analysis for faculty and staff positions.
Employee Benefits Administration:
• Supervises the benefits function and campus benefits specialist to collaboratively provide consultation to campus regarding benefits administration procedures and resolve employee questions or concerns.
• Collaborates with UT System benefits administration personnel to ensure campus adherence to policies and procedures and proactively communicate important benefits information to stakeholders.
• Remains current on trends and best practices in the field of employee benefits administration to recommend process improvements and enhance communication of total compensation.
Leaves of Absences:
• Serves as the UTC point of contact for all FMLA requests and management of related procedures.
• Assists with coordination of other leave of absences, providing consultation to campus as needed.
• Serves as coordinator of the Sick Leave Bank and related activities.
• Serves as point of contact for all Workers’ Compensation procedures, collaborating with the Office of Safety & Risk Management and UT System personnel to assist, report and address all Workers’ Compensation needs.
Bachelor’s degree required in Business Administration, HR, Psychology or related field; Master’s preferred. HR related certification including PHR, SHRM-CP, CEBS, World at Work, etc., preferred. Must have a minimum of five years of Human Resources-related experience. Must have a minimum of three years of experience in both compensation and benefits and a minimum of two years’ experience in managing HR functions. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as active listening skills. Must have demonstrated competence in the areas of compensation, benefits, FMLA and process improvement. Must be able to translate research and statistical analyses into practical terms. Demonstrated competency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Microsoft Outlook required. Experience with continuous process improvement is preferred. Occasional evenings, weekends, and overnight travel is required.
Applications must be submitted electronically. Applicants should include a cover letter and resume as attachments in addition to the online application.
Applications must be sent electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000001NR
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.